Who are your top current first ballot hall of famers playing today?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nationals2k9
    • Sep 2008

Re: Who are your top current first ballot hall of famers playing today?

Originally posted by bronx_burner
    Fair points. There will always be doubts about Pujols simply because of the unbelievable numbers he has put up since day 1. But there seems to be a huge difference (at least as of now) between the guys who are suspicious and the guys who have been caught. Simply look at Palmeiro (11%) and Bagwell (41%). I think its probably a pipe dream that the progression of voters treatment of this issue will allow someone like Manny to be a first ballot guy (figuring he will be on the ballot in about 7 years or so). ARod probably has at least 5 extra years on top of that and things could change but I doubt it will be enough to allow him in first ballot. Thats my opinion anyway though I've seen it shared by even voters who plan on voting for these guys (Buster Olney, Tim Kurkjian, Jayson Stark). Again I'm talking in the eyes of a betting man, not based on my personal player likes or dislikes.
    Pujols looked 40 years old from the minute he arrived on the scene. He's essentially an NFL linebacker that's pretty good at baseball too. I just have this crazy suspicion that the league will always protect him as its darling regardless of what they may ever find, if only to protect the common fan. I've got to think guys like Manny and Arod will at least find a place one day. Take your 6-7 years on Manny and add 20 (right?) years of voting. That's a really long time. I personally don't believe these guys become two of the best right-handed hitters of an entire generation just b/c of the PEDs.

Comment

• MikeSharon
      • Aug 2006

since we are bringing up retired guys what do you think about Biggio's chances on the 1st ballot i think he has to be a lock

Comment

• sox83cubs84
        Banned
        • Apr 2009

Originally posted by MikeSharon
        since we are bringing up retired guys what do you think about Biggio's chances on the 1st ballot i think he has to be a lock
        I would be very surprised if he didn't make it on his first year eligible.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• rj_lucas
          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by nationals2k9
          Pujols looked 40 years old from the minute he arrived on the scene. He's essentially an NFL linebacker that's pretty good at baseball too. I just have this crazy suspicion that the league will always protect him as its darling regardless of what they may ever find, if only to protect the common fan. I've got to think guys like Manny and Arod will at least find a place one day. Take your 6-7 years on Manny and add 20 (right?) years of voting. That's a really long time. I personally don't believe these guys become two of the best right-handed hitters of an entire generation just b/c of the PEDs.
          I just looked up 'irony' in the dictionary and it's defined as 'talking up Manny Ramirez for the Hall of Fame while directing unfounded accusations of PEDs use towards other players.'

Pretty funny coming from a fan of the guy who shot himself up with a female fertility drug. C'mon man.

Rick
          rickjlucas@gmail.com

Comment

• shoremen44
            • Jul 2007

...now that is funny
            Bert
            ---------------

Always looking for Matt Wieters, Tettleton, and that Orioles magic

shoremen44@gmail.com

Comment

• cjclong
              • Feb 2006

I'll go with Jeter and Rivera. I think Rivera could quit today and get in. If he gets the all time saves record that would just be icing on the cake. The HOF voters pay a lot of attention to post season play and no one has been better there than Rivera. I think the 09 playoffs and world series cemented his reputation where of all the closers for the playoff teams he was the only one who did not blow a save through the playoffs and world series. Also, in many of the past years of HOF voting the closer postion on a staff wasn't looked at with the importance it is today. And from all accounts Rivera is a very fine person which will also influence voters when unfortunately too many athletes are jerks.

Comment

• nationals2k9
                • Sep 2008

I always make a point to mention before anything else that my suspicions with Pujols have nothing to do with Manny already being suspended and me hoping to bring down the whole crew. I just think MLB is not a fully healthy league when it's a mix of former stars turned PED violators, combined with guys like Pujols who is oddly the first guy to look like Mark McGwire since McGwire himself. My argument at its core is to stop making the PED crap such a huge criteria when it comes to HOF consideration, and just return to watching these guys perform and do what they do best. I'm frankly embarassed that one day I get to explain to my son that the majority of my favorite players growing up are guys he won't be seeing in Cooperstown, in large part because it was the era where someone decided to make a big deal about it. But the way it stands, you've got a small handful of "clean" guys that we're all clinging to, and you've got even more guys who a lot of used to love that are now considered a joke because they made some poor decisions. That makes me angry and causes me to cast doubt on the remaining few everyone is all goo goo about.

You guys are probably a lot like me in a way... trying to defend what we like to make ours. "I have 10 Pujols bats, he's a god, he's never done anything, leave him alone." I'm thinking, "I have 10 Manny bats, he's my favorite player, stop picking on him like he's a cancer and appreciate his abilities."

Of course my thinking is unfounded, but what's the fun of waiting until after the fact and proclaiming that I knew something was up? Pictures like this of Albert and seeing the way he hits the ball tend to bend my thoughts some.
                Attached Files

Comment

• kellsox
                  • Jan 2006

Manny is an interesting case because he served a suspension for violation of the policy, came back and was nowhere near the same player. Calling into question how much of his accomplishments were ped aided (more so than others)

Comment

• nationals2k9
                    • Sep 2008

I see your point, but he's also at that age. Some of the other guys just kind of vanished entirely. This year will be interesting with his back against the wall. He seems to be in the right mindset, dropping 12 lbs and working his butt off to prepare. We'll see. But I get it.

Comment

Working...