Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Restoring Foil Stamping

Does anyone know how this works? Is there an actual substance (foil) that is used?

I don't mean to get into a discussion about whether "touching up" a bat affects value, etc...just wondering about the process and materials if anyone knows.

Here is a great example of this type of restoration on John Taube's website for anyone who doesn't know what I am referring to. As with most things bat related, John seems to do an incredible job.

http://www.gameusedbats.com/images/b...on_foil_lg.jpg
    Scott Harpt
    scott_harpt at yahoo dot com
    Always seeking Cecil Cooper, Ben Oglivie, and Gorman Thomas

Re: Restoring Foil Stamping

It is an actual foil that is pressed into the wood. The machine holds a brand and it is heated to 150-200 degrees. Over the top of the brand is a roll of foil. When a bat is in the machine and is struck by the brand the heat releases the foil material from it's backing and it is pressed into the indentation created by the brand. It's a really cool process.

When ever we have a stamping not come completely in we usually will try fixing it with a marker or we throw the bat away. I only have one brander who is good enough to put a brand on top of a brand.
    Brian Hillerich

Re: Restoring Foil Stamping

Quote Originally Posted by BMH View Post
    It is an actual foil that is pressed into the wood. The machine holds a brand and it is heated to 150-200 degrees. Over the top of the brand is a roll of foil. When a bat is in the machine and is struck by the brand the heat releases the foil material from it's backing and it is pressed into the indentation created by the brand. It's a really cool process.

When ever we have a stamping not come completely in we usually will try fixing it with a marker or we throw the bat away. I only have one brander who is good enough to put a brand on top of a brand.
    Very cool Brian, thank you.
    Scott Harpt
    scott_harpt at yahoo dot com
    Always seeking Cecil Cooper, Ben Oglivie, and Gorman Thomas