Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

duke snider passes

Re: duke snider passes

Damn... another one of the great ones is down...

This is a sad day for baseball. Anyone that had the chance to meet Duke knows what a great man he was. He will be missed!

Banned

Unhappy Re: duke snider passes

Duke was a great man and great ballplayer with a sharp recall.

When he was picked up in spring training of 1964 by the Giants, the team prepared jerseys with his normal number (4) to wear. Problem was, the number 4 was at the time unofficially (since made official) retired in honor of Mel Ott, so these were shelved. Upon arrival with his new team, Snider was given a number of jerseys ordered for players who didn't make the cut to try on for game use. He settled on #28...a jersey made for bonus baby pitcher Bob Garibaldi, and with Garibaldi's NIC. This was told to an SCD writer by Snider a couple of decades ago.

We'll miss you, Duke of Flatbush...RIP.

Dave Miedema

It was sad to hear that Duke Snider passed away this morning at age 84. My mother, being a Brooklyn Dodgers fan when she was young, always told us the story that she had two chickens as pets. One was named Pee Wee Reese; the other was named Duke Snider.

The other association I have with Duke Snider is that when I collected baseball cards in the early 90's when I was in my early teens, I bought a 1960 Topps Duke Snider for $38...a very nice conditioned card for that time as well and I still have it today.

A sad day for Dodgers baseball, along with all of baseball and its fans. Duke you will be missed.

Chris

Did anyone/everyone else receive an email from something called "SportsMemorabilia.com" the day Snider died, that began:

Legendary Brooklyn and Los Angeles Dodgers Center Fielder, Donald "Duke Snider has passed away at the age of 84. Celebrate his Hall of Fame career by owning a piece of historic memorabilia before it sells out.

? I'm not entirely sure how I got on their email list, but I've unsubbed now...not that that always works.

This is tasteless, ghoulish opportunism, taken to a whole new level.

With Snider's death that only leaves Mays alive as one of the legendary centerfieders from New York along with Mantle. I guess it is just the normal course of things but it sure seems like a lot of players have died recently, Gil McDougald, Ryne Duren, Bob Feller, Bobby Thomson are just a few.

Banned

Angry Re: duke snider passes

Quote Originally Posted by godwulf View Post
    Did anyone/everyone else receive an email from something called "SportsMemorabilia.com" the day Snider died, that began:

Legendary Brooklyn and Los Angeles Dodgers Center Fielder, Donald "Duke Snider has passed away at the age of 84. Celebrate his Hall of Fame career by owning a piece of historic memorabilia before it sells out.

? I'm not entirely sure how I got on their email list, but I've unsubbed now...not that that always works.

This is tasteless, ghoulish opportunism, taken to a whole new level.
    Yeah, I got one, as well...I'll remember to hit the unsubscribe button nexttime they email me.

Dave Miedema