To answer your question, one would need to do an analysis on your scoring system. In other words, what categories are being counted? For example, if there are 12 offensive categories and only 4 pitching categories (wins, ERA, strikeouts, saves or something like that,) then focus on the hitters.

One thing I never do is use a high pick on a closer. Closers are good for only one category: saves. They don't work enough innings to give you much else. You can always pick up servicable closers as the season goes along, and with only 156 players being drafted, there will be plenty available.

It's okay to sacrifice one category if you can make it up elsewhere. For example, if the other guys are all getting a good amount of stolen base players, you might as well forget about that and focus on slow average and power hitters. If you're going to finish last in SB, for instance, you might as well have zero rather than finishing last with 80.

Again though, we'd need to see the scoring system to confirm it works this way.

Also, see where there are a small number of great players at a position. There are tons of great outfielders, so don't worry so much about that, unless you can grab one of the very best. Try to get huge production out of positions that traditionally are weak offensively, like the middle infield and maybe catcher.

Again, focusing on the middle infield, always put a premium on guys who can play more than one position. The flexibility can be a lifesaver when injuries come (and it can make those players great trade-bait for the same reason.)

That's where I'd start the analysis if I was in your shoes. There's also some poker playing. If your buddies have favorite players, they will likely put a premium on them, so don't get caught up in that. Get good players in good situations: RBI guys who have good on-base guys in front of them, or speed guys who play for managers who like to run.

Good luck.