Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

How do you Display your collection?

I was wondering how many of you display your collection. I am now beginning to get quite a few items and was wondering how some of you do it. I am going to ikea this weekend to get one of those glass display cabinets that are 50$ to put my game used helmets in. They have 4 shelves in it. Only thing i worry about is they are not UV glass but i plan to down the road get gases for the helmets and put them in there then the case. The jerseys i plan to make a little closet type thing for and put them on hangers and possibly in suit bags to keep them protected. So what do you do with all your stuff? Display it? Keep it in containers completely away from everything and safe? Would love to hear. Maybe some others can get ideas as well.

Re: How do you Display your collection?

We don't need no stinking UV glass!
    Plaster the walls, use up all your floor space. Set up a velvet rope at the door.
    Good to go.

you don't think UV glass would be needed to stop the fading on the helmets? i mean i doubt anything on them would fade but i don't wanna chnce it. I love your set up.

you don't think UV glass would be needed to stop the fading on the helmets?
    Guess it depends how much light you have. The only light source in my room is 4 of those little ceiling fan bulbs and the computer screen. The window has blinds and a curtain over that.

In my lifetime, I doubt I'll notice any fading. More concerned about a tornado ripping off the upper level of the house.

Quote Originally Posted by otismalibu View Post
    Guess it depends how much light you have. The only light source in my room is 4 of those little ceiling fan bulbs and the computer screen. The window has blinds and a curtain over that.

In my lifetime, I doubt I'll notice any fading. More concerned about a tornado ripping off the upper level of the house.
    i don't get a ton of light but i worry about it. i know its prob nuttin but i do have shades and a curtain as well. I will prob just get the shelves and pick the cases up if i see it start.

I can't get enough of that Dr. J collection.

As for me, I built lockers (basically a series of closets) in my basement with carsiding and 2x4s. Looks good and was relatively cheap to do.
    Scott Harpt
    scott_harpt at yahoo dot com
    Always seeking Cecil Cooper, Ben Oglivie, and Gorman Thomas

As for me, I built lockers (basically a series of closets) in my basement with carsiding and 2x4s. Looks good and was relatively cheap to do.
    Scott,

Post that photo again. Those lockers look sweet and it's tough to find the old thread with your photos

No UV glass here, just a good shade over the window that doesn't let direct sunlight in, just enough to see the goods.

Quote Originally Posted by mad87man View Post
    you don't think UV glass would be needed to stop the fading on the helmets? i mean i doubt anything on them would fade but i don't wanna chnce it. I love your set up.
    Is there any way to make existing glass UV protected?

I have an ikea cabinet right next to my window which lets in lots of sunlight through the cheap blinds:

We are planning on replacing the blinds for curtains but this could be 2-3 years away...The rest of my memorabilia is on a wall opposite the blinds as well. I never open them, but they do a poor job of darkening the room.

I have an unfinished basement - and again cannot remember the 'originator' of the idea here - maybe TripleXXX? - I know it was one of the football guys... anyway...

Unfinished basement, $25 Black 5 Shelf Wal-Mart Bookcases, Mannequins and a few Oakley cases I've picked up over the years (Oh yeah, and a large carpet remnant) and I have this:

Some of the pics are old and some items are gone or replaced with new stuff - I need to take new pics - but you get the idea.

As far as light - as I said, basement - one window and it's covered with a dark blanket with a table in front of it (where I take photos of balls, bats, jerseys, etc). All incandescent bulbs have been replaced with CFLs and I am ungrading (as I can afford it) to LED bulbs (no UV light emitted!).

Hope you enjoy!!!

- Smitty

P.S. - Here's the Giambi Uni now: