Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help with Majestic Tag Thread!!

Just curious if anyone has ever seen this before? This was purchased recently from Ball Park Heroes and comes with a Cardinals Care COA and has been photomatched, but I noticed this anomally in the way the tag was sewn. Has anyone seen this before on a legit jersey?
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Todd Ricks
    www.freewebs.com/canseco44
    Always looking for Canseco Game Used Items
    Spideyman79@yahoo.com

Re: Help with Majestic Tag Thread!!

More Photos
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Todd Ricks
    Spideyman79@yahoo.com

Banned

Exclamation Re: Help with Majestic Tag Thread!!

When I worked at MEARS, I saw the same stitch hole effect on the Majestic tags of several 2005 Mets gamers which were legit. I originally thought it was hobbyist tag tampering, but the sourcing and quantity of these convinced me otherwise.

Dave Miedema

I'm wondering if they were from a previous year and the equipment manager removed the year tag and inserted the current year? But then again who would be that anal? I guess it could happen but I can't think of another reason.
    Todd Ricks
    Spideyman79@yahoo.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Canseco44 View Post
    I'm wondering if they were from a previous year and the equipment manager removed the year tag and inserted the current year? But then again who would be that anal? I guess it could happen but I can't think of another reason.
    That would be insane not to mention time consuming.

I agree, but I can't think of any other reason for it to be sewn like it had been removed and replaced. A mistake I guess.
    Todd Ricks
    Spideyman79@yahoo.com

sox83cubs84, do you have a theory as to why you think this jersey and the mets jerseys you spoke of were done this way? I appreciate your response.
    Todd Ricks
    Spideyman79@yahoo.com

I think this is a valid theory. The whole point of year tags is to let the equipment manager know how old a particular shirt is. That used to be a much more important concern when teams recycled jerseys -- sometimes at the MLB level, often for spring training and/or through the minors. Less recycling today, but still could have been happening in 2004. I've purchased at least two Cardinals jerseys from the team with the year/set flag removed. Would not surprise me at all to know the team was re-tagging jerseys so they could track when they were put into circulation.

Banned

Question Re: Help with Majestic Tag Thread!!

sox83cubs84, do you have a theory as to why you think this jersey and the mets jerseys you spoke of were done this way? I appreciate your response.
    Other than Jeff's reasoning, I can't. Still, one has to remember, teams that use tags do so for their own reasons, not to leave an instructional guide to collectors.

Dave Miedema

Todd, please e-mail me photos of a few particular details and maybe I can determine if this is a 2003 jersey that was re-tagged for 2004. I need to see:
    • Close ups of the birds' heads
    • Close up of a button
    • Close up of the interior back of the shirt so I can see how the name plate is attached
    • A photo of the interior laundry tag.
    Thanks.