Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Team's definition of Game Used

We all know that when an MLB holo says game used, its pretty much water tight that it was used in a game by a player...

However how about when team LOA's say "game used", do they use the same definition - i.e. someone saw the player wear it...or is it pretty liberally used? As in, some stuff would actually only be issued.

I am particularly asking about Spring Training/BP jerseys issued by Pirates, Phillies and Braves.

Thanks!
    Mark.

Re: Team's definition of Game Used

I'm not really sure that there is a "Rule of Thumb" however I can attest that over the years I have received many items from the Team.....MLB Auctions and NFL Auctions that have paperwork saying that it is "Game Used" and in the Data bases as "game used". After a bit of Homework, I have found that the player didn't even play in the documented game or the item could not have been used.

I have heard this story from many other guys on this forum before and I'm not really sure the MLB Hologram is even air tight (although it is pretty good). I own a "Game used" autographed Home plate that never saw the light of day.

Now when it comes to Team issued Certs...."All bets are off" and many of these teams should be embarrassed at what they represent as GU. I just sent back a handful of Titans Jerseys that were certainly never worn.

I have yet to run into this with the NHL and NBA but Maybe it exists there too?

I honestly don't know how they figure what is and what isn't. I think they wash a lot of the stuff and it is only one wear things. Also i know some teams label stuff game issued when it was actually worn b/c they mix them both to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulligans View Post
    After a bit of Homework, I have found that the player didn't even play in the documented game or the item could not have been used.
    I agree, you see a lot of MLB jerseys from the Turn Back The Clock and Negro league games that are listed by MLB authentication as "game used" when the player never played in the one and only game they were worn. This is the gray area where it was worn by the player DURING the game, but not IN the game. Personally, I feel like they should add another catagory called "bench worn", "dugout worn", or "bullpen worn" for items like this that are more than just game issued because the player wore it, but didn't see any action.

Banned

If it comes from the lockerroom alot consider it game worn and they would not be able to tell if it were or not unless they saw the guy take it off his back. The Jets before they got involved with JO used to sell jerseys as gameworn that clearly were not. As another member stated in another thread the Red Wings sell Yzerman jerseys as game worn for $5,000 that show light to no use. As Jeff pointed out NFL Auctions routinely sells jerseys from games a player was not even active for. Last season they sold a Jamal Lewis jersey as such that was worn after he was knocked out for the year as Greg aptly pointed out at the time. personally I wont buy a jersey from a team unless they tell me what game(s) it was worn in.

Quote Originally Posted by mlupo View Post
    I agree, you see a lot of MLB jerseys from the Turn Back The Clock and Negro league games that are listed by MLB authentication as "game used" when the player never played in the one and only game they were worn.
    This was the mistake I made with my very first purchase. Beautiful set of Grant Balfour cleats from the TBTC game, but he didn't even pitch in the game. I can only assume he wore them while sitting in the bullpen. They look great and have an authenticated auto, but still...

The main reason I asked the question is there are about 4 ST/BP jersey's from my guys on eBay...all come with Team LOA's stating "game used". Asking around it seems that teams may issue 2 ST/BP jersey's per player. Having only two jersey's - you would assume that they would both have to be worn at some stage...right??? As long as the player was actually on the roster that spring, I should be good? Or am I just trying to hard to spend some money It's been a while between purchases and i'm getting desperate!

Would hate to end up with something that is just issued. Plus a lot of these BP jersey's don't show much use (especially pitchers). And when they call the BP jersey's, how often would a pitcher take BP!

Mark.

It's not just jerseys. I've seen dealers sell "game-used" locker-room chairs, and "game-used" bullpen pitching rubbers, though they weren't officially part of the game. Our hobby itself doesn't have firm definitions. For example, is a dugout lineup card "game-used" even though it has no official significance? ( as opposed to a batting-order card given to the umpire, which is clearly game-used as it's required by the rules.) Is a jersey worn by a coach "game-used" although he's not a player?

And an interesting point I've never seen come up: If balls are given MLB holos for a game that's not official because weather-shortened, is that "game-used" though it's not an official game? Again, our hobby itself doesn't necessarily have strict definitions.

Quote Originally Posted by Klattsy View Post
    The main reason I asked the question is there are about 4 ST/BP jersey's from my guys on eBay...all come with Team LOA's stating "game used". Asking around it seems that teams may issue 2 ST/BP jersey's per player. Having only two jersey's - you would assume that they would both have to be worn at some stage...right??? As long as the player was actually on the roster that spring, I should be good? Or am I just trying to hard to spend some money It's been a while between purchases and i'm getting desperate!
    Personally, I mostly collect Detroit Tigers and they don't wear BP jerseys for spring games, they use their regular jerseys but they are tagged as spring. I never got into BP jerseys myself, but I am guessing if the team uses the same style for ST and BP then you are probably good, they probably saw use at some point. That being said you are probably trying buy something since its been a while I know, it happens to me.

Quote Originally Posted by coxfan View Post
    It's not just jerseys. I've seen dealers sell "game-used" locker-room chairs, and "game-used" bullpen pitching rubbers, though they weren't officially part of the game. Our hobby itself doesn't have firm definitions. For example, is a dugout lineup card "game-used" even though it has no official significance? ( as opposed to a batting-order card given to the umpire, which is clearly game-used as it's required by the rules.) Is a jersey worn by a coach "game-used" although he's not a player?

And an interesting point I've never seen come up: If balls are given MLB holos for a game that's not official because weather-shortened, is that "game-used" though it's not an official game? Again, our hobby itself doesn't necessarily have strict definitions.
    A lot of great points!!! I'm fine with items that never have a chance of making it on the field being called "game used"(clubhouse chairs, bullpen home plates, bullpen telephone), because there really isnt any great title for them. In the case of a clubhouse chair, once a player sits in it I would no longer call it "issued" because now it is "used".

My issue is with the items that are worn by the player but never see game action. IMO I would call a managers jersey "game worn" because just being worn for the game means it sees as much action as it ever will, but that's just me.

I have never heard anyone bring up games that are not official, that is a GREAT point. I would have to say those are not "game used".

I consider jerseys game used if the player dressed for the game and was on the sidelines ready to play. Even if he didnt play a single play but because he was dressed and ready to play i consider the shirt game used. As most of you know i collect 49ers gamers and i consider the shirt that the backup QB wore game used even though he may not have played. Lets say the punter who is obviously dressed and ready to punt does not punt in a game-is the shirt not game used. I think it is. I also think that if a pitcher is in the bullpen and ready to pitch but does not that that shirt is also game used.

I have an Elvis Grbac 95 gamer with team letter that shows little use but he was the backup QB so he probably was on the sidelines ready to play but didnt. I think the shirt is game used. MEARS gave it an A5 even with the genuine team letter that states game used. Lets say he was in the game for one play, would the grade have been higher?

What is interesting is that NBA Auctions makes note that a player dressed but didnt play in their descriptions of the jerseys they auction.

Always buying 49ers gamers
    Paul
    garciajones@yahoo.com
    Attached Images Attached Images