Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

$6K Eddie Murray bat???

Did anyone notice that a GU Eddie Murray bat just sold for over $6,000 in Mastro's last auction? And it dated to 1991?? Weren't these just readily available on ebay a couple years ago? Sure, it is auto'd, and he's tough, but come on!

Also, 10 grand seems high for a Bob Gibson GU Cap, but perhaps I'm wrong.

Ken

Re: $6K Eddie Murray bat???

Ken,

That is somewhat strange, I would have to see the Murray bat, but Eddie's game used bats have always been somewhat undervalued on the market at least I think so for a player with his career numbers. Maybe due to him being called Steady Eddie as he never had what you would term a monster season. Still, being one of only 4 players with 3000 hits and 500 homers one would think this would put his memorabilia on a different plateau. I personally have never seen Eddie's game used anything going for that kind of price. Perhaps there is something we don't know about the piece. Probably also does not help that he has always been aloof and very surly with reporters and even the public at times.

Just my thoughts,

Thanks
    Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

Banned

Well I have met him a few times in person he does a lot of signings and has one coming up in about month or so and he has always been pretty nice to me so I really can't say anything bad about the guy.

I think as mentioned before as mentione dby one of the other members since he really never had a Monster season to set himself from the rest, is why he doesn't get as much recognition as others.
    To my memory he was never a show boating player or doing anything to make him self stick out so lack of exposure I belive hurts the value of his items.

He is doing a signing in early November here in Baltimore also i don't know if thats the signing you are talking about or not Jason.Thanks Geoff

Wow, if that bat is $6000, my Murray circa 1990 bat is looking a lot better to me! Pounded with National League black ink transfers, seam imprints, etc., and a nice signature from his Dodgers days ... perhaps I should submit it to Mastro?

Reid
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Banned

Geoff yeah that is the show im talking about. He does them all the time with MAB.

This result is odd. I was an early Mastro bidder on this bat and watched incredulously as the price skyrocketed. Even $2K would have been high. His bats have been selling in the $750 - $1000 range as best I can tell. American Memorabilia has sold several of them from the same 1991 time frame as the Mastro bat and the most any of them sold for was in the $900 range, even with PSA or SCDA LOAs. The Mastro bat admittedly showed nicer use than any of the others, but that definitely does not justify the 6 or 7-times premium. Was this a case of auction fever?

Perhaps because it was graded a 10 by PSA/DNA.

But i do agree it's way over priced.

I have a Gary Carter LA dodgers bat autographed with ton of characteristic Carter use that I should get graded hope for a 10 and then send to Mastronet for auction. I can use $4,500 after fees too

-David