Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Question about my Sori Nationals bat

It looks as if the Sori game used Nats bat I have was used in a study of cracked bats as there are numerical markings up and down the barrel, especially by the crack. How does that affect the value of the bat? In one way it is kind of neat to see how they measured everything, on the other hand annoying to have the writing. Any opinions? Thanks!

Jason
    Jason Perlman
    jperlman@ohaflcio.org

Banned

Re: Question about my Sori Nationals bat

Quote Originally Posted by perlman9 View Post
    It looks as if the Sori game used Nats bat I have was used in a study of cracked bats as there are numerical markings up and down the barrel, especially by the crack. How does that affect the value of the bat? In one way it is kind of neat to see how they measured everything, on the other hand annoying to have the writing. Any opinions? Thanks!

Jason
    If your a Sori fan that year is the gold standard. So your bat gets a premium for that. As far as the writing could you get it off? It might be worth a try, otherwise to me it would not hurt the value by more than like 10% as it is not major like missing wood or something.

Thanks! some is pencil but some markings probably more important are in sharpie. Bat is slightly cracked, not badly damaged and no wood missing. But looks like they may have removed some handle pine tar to see better but still huge clumps over the SAM logo
    Jason Perlman
    jperlman@ohaflcio.org

Since it was a study done throughout major league baseball, I don't think it effects the bat value at all. However, different collectors like different things-- some prefer the bat not to be cracked, and others prefer for there to be no autographs, while others prefer cracked bats and autographs. If the bat was written on by a child or something with no specific purpose, then the bats value should be a percentage less.

I would love to see some photos of the bat. Thanks!
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Here are some pics

Jason Perlman
    jperlman@ohaflcio.org

Perlman- I can tell you with 100% certainty that that bat was sent to another bat company to be copied. They measure it out and enter everything in a CAD program to be able to reproduce it exactly to specification on a CNC lathe.

I used to work for Maxbat and this is a very common practice. The lines you see on the bat with the numbers are measurements.

Ahh, that makes sense! I just thought a lot of detail was around the crack so maybe it had to do with that. Thanks for the info! So the player sends it to another bat company to try their bat? Is that about right?
    Jason Perlman
    jperlman@ohaflcio.org

Yeah, say he wanted to try Marucci for example. He would send one of the current bats that he likes the feel of, and Marucci would measure and copy it. Then Marucci would make him a couple to try and send the "copy" bat back to him along with the Marucci bats.

Make sense?

Yep. Thanks for the info! I guess I got a bat he liked even with all the writing...
    Jason Perlman
    jperlman@ohaflcio.org