Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

eBay's new fee structure

• Sellers not subscribed to a Store: Starting April 19, list Auction-style FREE up to 50 items a month—any start price—and add the Buy It Now option FREE to capture those buyers in a hurry. You pay only if your item sells. Auction-style Final Value Fees will apply to the total amount of sale, including shipping. Starting July 6, Fixed Price Final Value Fee rates will be reduced and applied to the total amount of sale, including shipping.
    So, you can list up to 50 items per month with no listing fee, which sounds good to me.... But paying a final value fee of 9% on the total cost of the transaction, including what you charge the buyer for shipping, will not be such a bargain if you're shipping a heavy item. Now, I have even LESS of a reason to ship out of the United States too... You're penalized by shipping to a foriegn country, even though it requires more work and headaches for the seller.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Re: eBay's new fee structure

Well, we all knew it was coming. They're not going to let a single penny pass through that they don't get their skim on. Trying to ram free shipping down every seller's throat clearly wasn't getting them where they wanted to be.

Ebay has become a shell of it's former self, only worried about their greedy bottom line. They have clearly forgot WHY they even exist, because of the sellers! When I think of their absurd price increases, % taken off of the final sale and now this, they are not even the same business I have sold thru for over 10 years now.

What is sad is I flip extra or unwanted stuff on the side to pay for my GU hobby, and now that is going to take a serious hit because of these @sses. Bad enough I usually eat shipping, because I rarely charge enough, now they are going to penalize me for the cost of shipping I see ZERO money from? Pathetic!

I am all but done with them.

Banned

On the other side of the coin, with auction houses charging 20% buyers fees, this buyer saved about $340.00 on his/her purchase. The down side? he/she didn't get one of those awesome LOA's that accompany auction house items.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Just an opinion.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by cohibasmoker View Post
    On the other side of the coin, with auction houses charging 20% buyers fees, this buyer saved about $340.00 on his/her purchase. The down side? he/she didn't get one of those awesome LOA's that accompany auction house items.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Just an opinion.

Jim
    I agree with you Jim, and frankly, I do much more buying on eBay than selling. The biggest problem with eBay's new fee structure will be for the seller who sells heavy items. Let's say someone sells a large fifteen-pound stack of Sports Illustrateds for $5. Even if the seller is able to fit the magazines in a large flat rate priority mail box that costs $15 to ship, they are now paying eBay an additional $1.40 in fees based on the shipping cost. On the seller's $5 auction, they are paying almost $2 in fees. If the seller is smart, they will up their shipping quote to $16.50 or $17.00 in this example.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by commando View Post
    I agree with you Jim, and frankly, I do much more buying on eBay than selling. The biggest problem with eBay's new fee structure will be for the seller who sells heavy items. Let's say someone sells a large fifteen-pound stack of Sports Illustrateds for $5. Even if the seller is able to fit the magazines in a large flat rate priority mail box that costs $15 to ship, they are now paying eBay an additional $1.40 in fees based on the shipping cost. On the seller's $5 auction, they are paying almost $2 in fees. If the seller is smart, they will up their shipping quote to $16.50 or $17.00 in this example.
    I agree with what you say. There are many issues many of which are outside our control of eBay. Ever look at the back of your electric and/or cable bill? There are more charges associated with taxes and fees than costs associated with actual usage. Yes, personal taxes have NOT been raised but fees associated with government regulations have. I am NOT defending eBay but I can't imagine their operating expenses.

Here's a suggestion, try "media" mail. If magazines are being shipped, its a much more affordable rate. The downside? Its very slow but hey, the buyer won't complain if they save a few bucks.

Jim

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cohibasmoker View Post
    I agree with what you say. There are many issues many of which are outside our control of eBay. Ever look at the back of your electric and/or cable bill? There are more charges associated with taxes and fees than costs associated with actual usage. Yes, personal taxes have NOT been raised but fees associated with government regulations have. I am NOT defending eBay but I can't imagine their operating expenses.

Here's a suggestion, try "media" mail. If magazines are being shipped, its a much more affordable rate. The downside? Its very slow but hey, the buyer won't complain if they save a few bucks.

Jim
    When you ship your item via Media Mail, if the post office asks what's in the box, don't tell them magazines but state books otherwise magazines don't qualify for Media Mail. I never understood what the difference was from magazines to books shipping bulk flat rare, but they have issues.

Banned

To save 20% each month and to receive better search engine exposure, last April I switched to what is now 100% free shipping. I have to start bids at a higher price to protect myself from loss and really, I have fallen for eBay's new concept that that want me to list everything fixed price but my sales have been solid and my monthly bill has not gone that much.

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    To save 20% each month and to receive better search engine exposure, last April I switched to what is now 100% free shipping. I have to start bids at a higher price to protect myself from loss and really, I have fallen for eBay's new concept that that want me to list everything fixed price but my sales have been solid and my monthly bill has not gone that much.
    I'm a little confused, if you up the price of the item to cover shipping, then give free shipping, aren't you still paying the same 9% fee?

I'm a little confused, if you up the price of the item to cover shipping, then give free shipping, aren't you still paying the same 9% fee?
    I'm reading it as eBay's free shipping incentive has helped offset some of the increased fees. Should never get less than a 5 for the shipping cost grade.