Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Holes in a game used bat

I recently purchased a game used bat that has really weird holes in it. It has 3 small holes about the size of a pinhead in it. It has one about half way up the barrell, one towards the top of the barrell, and one in the top of the bat. Has anyone ever seen this before? Could this be a display model or maybe one used by the factory to get specs on? It is very strange though. I dont have a ton of experience with game used bats but I have never run across this. I will post pictures of it tonight when I can edit them down to fit as an attachment.

Re: Holes in a game used bat

Without seeing pictures, the only thing I can think of is that they checked the moisture content of the wood. They normally do that to the billet before it is turned into a bat and not after it is actually a bat though. Would love to see pics and I might be able to give you a better idea.

You must have David Wright's bat. Whenever his numbers drop he always blames the bats, and that they have holes in them.

Would a billet have the players name and team on it?

No, it wouldnt, thats why I am saying that the idea of them testing after it is already been made is a little strange. Unless it was part of the maple bat study that MLB did and the checked moisture content then.

Just an FYI, the billet is the piece of wood that the bat is made out of. Usually 36 inches long and 3 inches in diameter.

Yeah after I posted that I looked up a billet. It would be hard to hit with one of those. haha I will post pictures of the bat tonight so the experts can weigh in because I am way above my pay grade on this one. I have heard of the MLB studies you are talking about. The Braves are selling a Brian McCann bat right now that they say was part of the study. The bat I have is a Vladdy bat.

My wife was kind enough to take a few pics on her cellphone and send them to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Those don't appear to be holes from moisture testing. Maybe someone made those holes to mount it on a wall or something? I am really not sure. Sorry I couldnt be of more help.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB_Authentic View Post
    Those don't appear to be holes from moisture testing. Maybe someone made those holes to mount it on a wall or something? I am really not sure. Sorry I couldnt be of more help.
    this is what i am thinking.

Okay, now explain this one.

This bat came straight from the team - probably a Spring Training bat - via the Team Shop.