Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A Chilling Quote from Murf Denny in 1981

We all have our suspicions about McAuliffe and Sand Knit jerseys from the 1970s and early 1980s.... This SCD article from Jan. 31, 1981 has a couple of interesting quotes in regards to that issue from Murf Denny.

If you really want to educate yourself on this hobby, start digging up the info of the past. (Sorry about my wife's stray hair!)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Re: A Chilling Quote from Murf Denny in 1981

I thank you for this information. I am getting very frustrated with the hobby, and I have been burnt. Unfortunately, I keep hearing the same story: "We know alot more about game used jerseys than we did 5 or 10 years ago...". Regardless of these comments, there are chilling articles like the one you posted that lead me to believe that there is a very concerning trend in the hobby. The trend is that deceit is the rule not the exception. My current guideline is: if I cannot photomatch a jersey, then I avoid it. There is too much risk for my hard earned money.

That's why you gotta love those great flannels of the 1950's of solid, but not superstar, players such as Frank Sullivan, Steve O'Neill, and Haywood Sullivan.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Déjà vu all over again.

Commando
    Can you find the article about the former Cincinnati batboy who fabricated many baseball relics like Babe Ruth's reform school jersey and a Lou Gehrig sterling silver MVP presentation bat? All of which are fake. Does anyone know this story? I'm guessing late 80s, maybe early 90s.

I think there are people faking jerseys of marginal players. Fly under the radar. If you have a blank that's not the correct size for the super star, then you simply find someone on the roster that fits.

In fact, I'd say this is exactly what a certain eBay seller has done for years. Volume, volume, volume.

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post

Déjà vu all over again.

Commando
    Can you find the article about the former Cincinnati batboy who fabricated many baseball relics like Babe Ruth's reform school jersey and a Lou Gehrig sterling silver MVP presentation bat? All of which are fake. Does anyone know this story? I'm guessing late 80s, maybe early 90s.
    Yeah....I have those....If memory serves me correct, the guy's name was Geoff Wayne and those articles came out in '93 or so.......

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanfan View Post
    Yeah....I have those....If memory serves me correct, the guy's name was Geoff Wayne and those articles came out in '93 or so.......
    Yes, 3 minutes on google helped. Geoff Wayne was his alias. His government name was Randall Lee Marshall. Can't believe his name has never been mentioned on this forum. Read this link...scroll down about a quarter of the way. Juicy...
    http://books.google.com/books?id=_B4...rshall&f=false

I remember reading about that guy years ago. What stood out to me was the fact that he soaked his jerseys in urine and baked them in the oven. I can't imagine the odor that would create.
    Mike

Looking for any White Sox jersey from Richie Zisk.

My website - http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/

"There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball"
    ~ Bill Veeck

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned

Angry Re: A Chilling Quote from Murf Denny in 1981

I remember the whole Geoff Wayne/Randy Marshall affair, as I was subpeoaned (possible misspelling ) to testify regarding a lawsuit that was filed by a collector who was taken.

I also remember SCD doing an interview with Marshall a few years later. Marshall's secret to going so long without discovery (he was doing this in the 1980s)? He took advantage of the fledgling game used hobby in the early 1980s and, in his own words, "established himself as an expert". Not so easy to do today without the pedigree, but easy enough close to 30 years ago.

Dave Miedema

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    Yes, 3 minutes on google helped. Geoff Wayne was his alias. His government name was Randall Lee Marshall. Can't believe his name has never been mentioned on this forum. Read this link...scroll down about a quarter of the way. Juicy...
    http://books.google.com/books?id=_B4...rshall&f=false
    I'm glad you found that link.... I don't have any SCDs from the early 1990s at this point.

I noticed another thread discussing MEARS and their grading criteria. Shouldn't a grading company be careful when they evaluate McAuliffes and Sand Knits? In the sportscard world, most well-known authenticators will not grade "Star Company" basketball cards from the 1980s because they were reprinted. Unless a McAuliffe Red Sox Fisk jersey has some great provenance, should an evaluator even offer an opinion (other than it came from the factory?)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com