X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GameBats
    • Nov 2005

Re: "Disgruntled collector to sell Bonds memorabilia"

Hi Jeff,

That's a sweet Bonds glove and jersey you auctioned. How did you obtain them? Did Bonds deny they were his? Did you keep anything from Bond's, or sell it all?

Comment

• stkmtimo
      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by webb17
      JUST LOOKING FOR AN INVESTMENT..................LONG TERM
      Jeff,
      That's cool. I think you picked a great player in Brandon Webb. I didn't realize you were behind the Webb hologram items. I saw a game used vest of his on Grey Flannel about a year or two back and was wondering if you had any jerseys of his for sale. I collect starting pitcher's jerseys and have been looking for his.

Thanks,
      Tim

Comment

• webb17
        • Jul 2006

Originally posted by stkmtimo
        Jeff,
        That's cool. I think you picked a great player in Brandon Webb. I didn't realize you were behind the Webb hologram items. I saw a game used vest of his on Grey Flannel about a year or two back and was wondering if you had any jerseys of his for sale. I collect starting pitcher's jerseys and have been looking for his.

Thanks,
        Tim

i only have jerseys from 2004 of webb

Comment

• webb17
          • Jul 2006

Originally posted by GameBats
          Hi Jeff,

That's a sweet Bonds glove and jersey you auctioned. How did you obtain them? Did Bonds deny they were his? Did you keep anything from Bond's, or sell it all?

he said they were stolen (hoskins were unathorized to sell) he said they were his. the 1987 glove i purchased from someone else. that was a great piece with the photo match. that glove owuldv'e been worth soo much more......

Comment

• skyking26
            • Dec 2005

While some people (particularly athletes) might see Jeff's behavior as "stalking," others like myself would view it as someone who recognized Bonds' athletic abilities to be so superior that a guy like Bonds is so self indulged he just can't comprehend it. I have been a collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia and equipment since I was a kid and am now an adult. There are probably those that wonder why I go to such great lengths to acquire this guy's stuff (and I am sure Dave does too...). I have known him personally since 92 and find him to be a very nice, family man. Still private, I limit how and when I look him up out of respect and do not ask for anything. Sure, I could hit him up for auto's, etc., but somehow I do not think it would go over well - he is not a Barry Bonds type of guy.

I give Jeff credit for having passion for the game. I love it and it takes my mind off my troubles. Most athletes have the gift of their abilities and just can't see what they have or appreciate it. Dave is modest and really does not get too involved about reminising about his career. I find it sad that he does not share the stories - but that is his right and I respect that. I am married with 2 kids and have a great life, have other collecting interests besides Kingman, and when I see him and get stuff signed - always enjoy the look on his face as he wonders where I got this stuff at. Do I think I will get out of it $$ what I have in? Not a chance, and that is not what it is about anyway. If you are in the hobby for that reason - you WILL be disappointed...
            ROBERT KOPPEL
            Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
            and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Comment

• webb17
              • Jul 2006

I'd hate to say this, but any guy that quits a very good job working as an investment banker to trail a baseball player around the country has a bit of a problem. I don't doubt that Kranz had the resources to do so, but why you would expend that much energy on someone who isn't even a family member is perplexing. To top it all off, he's now focusing on Brandon Webb. How the heck did he get to go to his wedding? I'm never invited to anything like that

Tim
              i didn't leave my job to follow him around. the press changes wrods around. i was fried to my job and decided to leave that line of work. i met through his agent that i knew for years. when i quit collecting bonds i tried to find a new player that i can follow and collect. i became friends with webb just like i do with most people that deal with me.
              jeff

Comment

• Eric
                • Jan 1970

Jeff-

I'm wondering what you think about the press your situation has gotten.

Thanks
                Eric
                Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Comment

• stkmtimo
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by webb17
                  i didn't leave my job to follow him around. the press changes wrods around. i was fried to my job and decided to leave that line of work. i met through his agent that i knew for years. when i quit collecting bonds i tried to find a new player that i can follow and collect. i became friends with webb just like i do with most people that deal with me.
                  jeff
                  Jeff,
                  Thanks for letting me know. I was too harsh on you in the beginning of this thread because I wasn't 100% sure of the circumstances. I understand now. It's awesome how you really get to know the guys and I think you picked a great player in Webb.

Tim

Comment

• webb17
                    • Jul 2006

thank you

Comment

• webb17
                      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Eric
                      Jeff-

I'm wondering what you think about the press your situation has gotten.

Thanks
                      Eric
                      i have turned down interviews on radio and television. the story is out. nothing to gain. i have had enough

Comment

• ChrisCavalier
                        Paid Users
                        • Jan 1970

Jeff,
                        Thanks for letting me know. I was too harsh on you in the beginning of this thread because I wasn't 100% sure of the circumstances. I understand now. It's awesome how you really get to know the guys and I think you picked a great player in Webb.
                        Hello Tim,

I think you deserve to be commended for admitting you may have been a bit too harsh in your initial posts. I think it shows great character to recognize and acknowledge you may have been a bit quick in your judgement and I respect you for it. Said another way, I think it is really great to see when someone "does the right thing".

Just my two cents.

Sincerely,
                        Chris
                        Christopher Cavalier
                        Consignment Director - Heritage Auctions

Comment

• stkmtimo
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by ChrisCavalier
                          Hello Tim,

I think you deserve to be commended for admitting you may have been a bit too harsh in your initial posts. I think it shows great character to recognize and acknowledge you may have been a bit quick in your judgement and I respect you for it. Said another way, I think it is really great to see when someone "does the right thing".

Just my two cents.

Sincerely,
                          Chris
                          Chris,
                          I really appreciate that, thank you. I quickly read over the story in the beginning but frequently came back to this thread and saw what the story was really about and now I can't blame Jeff at all for anything he did. I do understand how bad the media can be at times about getting the actual story out. The story made Jeff seem like something he most definitely is not. After learning the facts, it was only fair to admit I was wrong.

Tim

Comment

• indyred
                            • May 2006

Originally posted by metsbats
                            http://cgi.ebay.com/1991-92-BARRY-BO...QQcmdZViewItem

I guess he not that disguntled.

-David
                            This ended at little over $1,500. Is this what a nice Bonds gamer usually goes for now? If Bonds plays next year and does break the record, his stuff has gotta go back up.
                            Webb17.....Any idea what Barry is going to do with all his stuff he keeps of his. Does he trade stuff out with other player's? Is he a collector or do you just see him selling it off to make easy $$$ when he retires?

Comment

• sportscentury
                              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by indyred
                              This ended at little over $1,500. Is this what a nice Bonds gamer usually goes for now? If Bonds plays next year and does break the record, his stuff has gotta go back up.
                              Indy,

This was my thinking. I have a Bonds rookie era signed gamer that I wouldn't mind holding on to for just this reason.

Jeff, did you think about holding on to your collection a bit longer to see if Barry breaks Hammerin' Hank's record? Were you happy with the Lelands results?

And Howard, didn't you quit your job to follow Rick Wise around for a while?

Reid
                              Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Comment

• GameBats
                                • Nov 2005

Jeff,

I would also appreciate your comments on Bonds items. What was your favorite Bonds piece? Can you share some of your knowledge on Bonds game used items? I'm sure you've had some interesting pieces.

Thanks,
                                John

Comment

Working...