The double letter C represented 1970, so the codes would progress as such:

DD= 1971
    EE= 1972
    FF= 1973
    GG= 1974
    HH= 1975
    II= 1976
    JJ= 1977
    Anyone know which season Wilson and the NFL transitioned to the year/month coding for game balls too? I have a Rozelle ball w/ large NFL logo that dates to 1984 (GV); allegedly a practice-used ball. Bought it strictly because it was a nice ball, but would interested to see if the coding makes the "practice ball" story unlikely. My understanding is that teams generally convert old game balls to practice use.

Re: Early 70's Rozelle Football

Hi...I have 2 1970's Wilson football for the NFL.....white striped with the smaller NFL shield with H-H and E-E codes on them......so, 1975 and 1972? Thanks for the posts.....learned a lot about the footballs I have.....never knew of the codes.

When was the last year the NFL used striped footballs in games? I just saw a larger NFL font(1976 and after), and it had stripes on it. Ever game used? Thanks....Tony

Also, with the larger NFL font(1976-present) and stripes, it has an "A" and an "R" on the ball too.....anyone have any input on what year? And if it was used in a game.....thanks! Tony

I am interested in date codes on the balls from the 80's, can anyone shed light into how they worked post 70's?

thanks in advance for any help.

dave

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by miracleonice80 View Post
    When was the last year the NFL used striped footballs in games? I just saw a larger NFL font(1976 and after), and it had stripes on it. Ever game used? Thanks....Tony
    1975, I believe.

Hey everyone.....I have a few 1950-70's NFL and AFL footballs to restore. If I replace the bladders, will a "modern-type" flat head valve ruin the value of the football? Also, I will have to re-lace the balls with new lace.......should the ball keep the original laces? Thanks in advance for advice! Tony

Quote Originally Posted by miracleonice80 View Post
    Hey everyone.....I have a few 1950-70's NFL and AFL footballs to restore. If I replace the bladders, will a "modern-type" flat head valve ruin the value of the football? Also, I will have to re-lace the balls with new lace.......should the ball keep the original laces? Thanks in advance for advice! Tony
    If the balls are still doing a decent job of holding air, or even if they display alright without air, I'd personally keep them as they are. Laces that have been on the ball that long likely won't survive bladder replacement, and having original laces is a big plus for balls like that. There are some restorers out there that will stitch in a new bladder (thus avoiding the flat head valve), but the resale value of the ball may be negatively affected in the process.

That said, if it's something you'd really want to do, and you're not worried about resale value, go for it.

I was at the Flea Market in Raleigh NC this weekend and at one of the booths I saw a NFL Wilson football with the two white stripes. I picked it up and it has "North Carolina" engraved on one panel so that suggests a college game ball.

It has the "NFL" logo and Pete Rozelle as the Commissioner.

On the Wilson engraved side it has under the 'Made in USA' the following letters
    "F D" and then under the 'Inflate to 13 LBS' the number "8."

Can a Forum member translate the above for me?

Thank you, Tom

Go Pack! NC State 1981 graduate

I've seen several Rozelle-era NFL footballs with an engraved college name and college striping. Not sure if the balls were used in games, or only in practice, but colleges almost certainly used these balls. Hey, it's a well-made football, why not?

I'm puzzled by the 3-letter date code.