Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Early 70's Rozelle Football

Fairly new to the hobby (focusing chiefly on NFL footballs); just picked this early 70's Pete Rozelle football restored by Hammer Sports Relics. As has been discussed in a previous thread, great work and a nice guy. Steve didn't know much about the ball except that it came from New Jersey, and I'm hoping someone here can help.

The ball is striped; I know from perusing Getty that the NFL did stripe balls for night games during that era. In addition - drawing off what jdr3 posted in a previous thread from Nov. 2009 - the production code is GG, indicating (?) a ball produced as an NFL game ball (same letter on either side versus a year/month code). Since I believe "G" indicates a year ending in "4," would this logically be a 1974 game ball? Even if this is the case, I'm sure it'd be next to impossible to narrow it down to a specific team or game, but I'm curious if there're any suggestions as to how I might do this.

I'd appreciate any help in confirming/debunking/reorienting my line of reasoning here.

Re: Early 70's Rozelle Football

It is a gamer from the 1974 season. There would have been no identifiers for what city or game it was used by Wilson.

I have a couple old balls I'd like to get worked on. Will it affect the value at all?

That was certainly what I was hoping, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdr3 View Post
    It is a gamer from the 1974 season. There would have been no identifiers for what city or game it was used by Wilson.

I have the same ball but with a D D code. Any ideas as to it's year?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NEFAN View Post
    I have the same ball but with a D D code. Any ideas as to it's year?
    I believe that would be 1971.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cohibasmoker View Post
    I believe that would be 1971.
    IIRC, there were no stripes on the ball in 1971.

Hey everyone.....I have a few 1950-70's NFL and AFL footballs to restore. If I replace the bladders, will a "modern-type" flat head valve ruin the value of the football? Also, I will have to re-lace the balls with new lace.......should the ball keep the original laces? Thanks in advance for advice! Tony

Quote Originally Posted by miracleonice80 View Post
    Hey everyone.....I have a few 1950-70's NFL and AFL footballs to restore. If I replace the bladders, will a "modern-type" flat head valve ruin the value of the football? Also, I will have to re-lace the balls with new lace.......should the ball keep the original laces? Thanks in advance for advice! Tony
    If the balls are still doing a decent job of holding air, or even if they display alright without air, I'd personally keep them as they are. Laces that have been on the ball that long likely won't survive bladder replacement, and having original laces is a big plus for balls like that. There are some restorers out there that will stitch in a new bladder (thus avoiding the flat head valve), but the resale value of the ball may be negatively affected in the process.

That said, if it's something you'd really want to do, and you're not worried about resale value, go for it.

I was at the Flea Market in Raleigh NC this weekend and at one of the booths I saw a NFL Wilson football with the two white stripes. I picked it up and it has "North Carolina" engraved on one panel so that suggests a college game ball.

It has the "NFL" logo and Pete Rozelle as the Commissioner.

On the Wilson engraved side it has under the 'Made in USA' the following letters
    "F D" and then under the 'Inflate to 13 LBS' the number "8."

Can a Forum member translate the above for me?

Thank you, Tom

Go Pack! NC State 1981 graduate