Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just got my first game-used bat, need advice!

I went to the San Jose Giants (AA) home opener this past Thursday. All of the game used bats in the team store were 50% off. Most of them are cracked, but I found an uncracked and autographed bat used by 2007 #1 draft pick Wendell Fairley from last years' championship season (The SJ Giants were Cal League champs). Fairley is still with the team. The bat cost $16 and some change. Is that a good deal or what? To top it off, I caught a foul ball in the air in the bottom of the ninth.

I would like to remove the tape from the middle of the bat so that the Louisville Slugger logo can be seen, and remove the pine tar as well. Would this detract from the value at all? If not, does anyone know any good cleaner to remove pine tar?

Thanks!

Re: Just got my first game-used bat, need advice!

$16 sounds pretty good. You can try to remove the tape if it won't harm the bat, but I definitely wouldn't remove the pine tar.

Quote Originally Posted by HawaiiSportsNut View Post
    $16 sounds pretty good. You can try to remove the tape if it won't harm the bat, but I definitely wouldn't remove the pine tar.
    I agree. Leave the tar but remove the tape if you want and see whats under it

Personally, I would leave the tape only because I like to keep things exactly the way I found them. But that's just me. And keep the bat no matter what. You'll get other bats, but there is nothing like the first one. It's special to you. Catching the foul ball makes it even more so.
    Dave Silverbrand

Quote Originally Posted by HawaiiSportsNut View Post
    +2 Leave the pine tar alone.
    I always remember when I bought my first game used base when I was 15. I started taking it to signings when players from the 2006 mets where there (still do). The first time I went my mom was there and she had a great line "Shouldn't you clean it before he signs it?". Everyone in the store was like NO.

Yes, keep the tar; remove the tape; wood glue the broken area underneath so that you can enjoy displaying or swinging the bat.

the tape may be holding the two pieces together, so you choose on that one but definitely leave the pine tar on there.

I would leave it intact. It makes it even more special to have it just how the player used it. If the tape were masking a break, that would be one thing. But it's just another idiosyncrasy of the player that makes the bat unique IMO.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    I would leave it intact. It makes it even more special to have it just how the player used it. If the tape were masking a break, that would be one thing. But it's just another idiosyncrasy of the player that makes the bat unique IMO.
    I think it was used to keep the break or crack together, not put on by the player

Thanks for the responses everyone! I don't think the bat is cracked, it seems pretty solid to me and makes a solid sound.