Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Peanuts from 1964

Before clicking on the thread, I originally thought someone bought a collectible that had peanuts from 1964 in it.

My son was watching SpongeBob before school last week and the episode was very similar.

SpongeBob bought every pack in the display that he had enough money for, trying to score a $5000.00 card. Squidward comes up after, buys the last pack and scores the rare card.
    Thank you,
    David

This is my email address here!
    dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

I'm beginning to think that maybe the whole "memorabilia" card thing has reached its nadir.

Leaf has a new "celebrity" set - "Leaf Pop Century" - for 2011, and the ultimate chase card in this set - 1/1, of course - is some kind of a fold-out card that contains a cut auto of JFK, a cut auto of Lee Harvey Oswald (!), and a swatch from the limo JFK was riding in when he was shot.

Really.

Quote Originally Posted by camarokids View Post
    Before clicking on the thread, I originally thought someone bought a collectible that had peanuts from 1964 in it.
    I think we all know somebody who, on a dare, would actually eat one of those peanuts, too.

I know I'm not the only one on this board who, at some point in the last ten years, was opening up a bunch of wax packs from 1988-91, and decided to see how that gum tasted.

Quote Originally Posted by godwulf View Post
    I think we all know somebody who, on a dare, would actually eat one of those peanuts, too.

I know I'm not the only one on this board who, at some point in the last ten years, was opening up a bunch of wax packs from 1988-91, and decided to see how that gum tasted.
    I have totally done that! Not harmful, sugar and gum paste don't ever actually go bad. It splinters and become dozens of pieces of gum that doesn't recombine.

Now that you have no more respect for me, I bid you adieu.
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Banned

Wink Re: Peanuts from 1964

Quote Originally Posted by godwulf View Post

You're not.

Back in the early 1990s, at a Cincinnati show, my wife, Shirley, took in over $50 in five dollar wagers from other dealers who didn't think she could eat 1970s pack gome without hurling it up.

We challenged Mr. Mint to a $100 bet on a stick of gum from a 1954 Bowman pack from his then just-discovered find. He wouldn't wager.

Dave Miedema

Alright tough guys. How much to eat a 48 year-old-cookie?

Quote Originally Posted by gingi79 View Post
    I have totally done that! Not harmful, sugar and gum paste don't ever actually go bad. It splinters and become dozens of pieces of gum that doesn't recombine.
    The time I tried it, the gum just immediately dissolved and left a bad aftertaste.

Hilarious. And why am I so amused/fascinated by someone eating decades-old gum?
    You realize we are all mentally damaged by this hobby, right?

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    This 1964 flashback is cool. If this strip were drawn late in Charles Schulz's life, Charlie Brown would also be buying a Joe Shlabotnik autograph ticket at a card show.

Dave Miedema
    Quote Originally Posted by bronx_burner View Post
    There is absolutely a daily strip of just that event. I saved it but it might be a task finding it. I'd say it was from the late 80s. The characters standing on line talking about who was at the show and what they each cost with the ending shot of Charlie Brown saying he got Joe Shlabotniks autograph and gave Charlie Brown a dollar.
    Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    That would be priceless if you found it.

Poor 'ole Charlie Brown, the players feel so sorry for him they give him money!
    Well 8 months later and I located the strip that I had mentioned I clipped. Dated 8/14/1989, so 25 years after the strip in the original post above. Here it is:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_burner View Post
    Well 8 months later and I located the strip that I had mentioned I clipped. Dated 8/14/1989, so 25 years after the strip in the original post above. Here it is:
    Wow - Thanks for pulling this thread up again with such a great addition!

I have a weakness for Peanuts cartoons and I have a small collection of Woodstock (Snoopy's pal) memorabilia and I miss the daily that was part of my life for so many years all the time.

You at least brought a smile to my face today. Need to find how to get that strip reproduced. They sell them now as collectibles.