Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Peanuts from 1964

Name:  dim.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  191.9 KB

Re: Peanuts from 1964

Like the old adage says, it's funny because it's true...

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com

Banned

Wink Re: Peanuts from 1964

This 1964 flashback is cool. If this strip were drawn late in Charles Schulz's life, Charlie Brown would also be buying a Joe Shlabotnik autograph ticket at a card show.

Dave Miedema

And here I thought you were talking about actual peanuts. I was going to suggest that you throw them to the squirrels.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Banned

The story of life.

Thanks Joel.

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    If this strip were drawn late in Charles Schulz's life, Charlie Brown would also be buying a Joe Shlabotnik autograph ticket at a card show.
    That, and his five bucks would only be buying him a pack or two of cards.

Unless you're really hot on finding one of those "memorabilia" cards, I don't understand why anyone buys those packs now, as expensive as they are. I see dealers at the local card show selling the commons 15 for a buck, and, hey, you can even pick out the cards you actually want, instead of buying a pig in a poke.

It was different back in the day (and '64 was about the time that I was buying packs) when a pack was 5 or 10 cents, no one knew what a card show was, and Topps didn't sell factory sets, as far as I know.

When I first read the title of the thread, I, too, thought somebody was talking about some very old peanuts. ("Game-used", no doubt.) Somewhere around here, I have a container of sunflower seeds in the shape of a Louisville Slugger that they came out with a few years ago - anybody else buy one of those? I'd imagine that those are already on their way to being petrified or ossified, or whatever seeds do after so long. And a couple of sealed boxes of "Big Unit" breakfast cereal. And a box of Frosted Flakes from Puerto Rico with a picture on the front of Tony the Tiger with his arm around Carlos Baerga, which I got Baerga to sign.

What...derail the thread...me?

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    This 1964 flashback is cool. If this strip were drawn late in Charles Schulz's life, Charlie Brown would also be buying a Joe Shlabotnik autograph ticket at a card show.

Dave Miedema
    There is absolutely a daily strip of just that event. I saved it but it might be a task finding it. I'd say it was from the late 80s. The characters standing on line talking about who was at the show and what they each cost with the ending shot of Charlie Brown saying he got Joe Shlabotniks autograph and gave Charlie Brown a dollar.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_burner View Post
    There is absolutely a daily strip of just that event. I saved it but it might be a task finding it. I'd say it was from the late 80s. The characters standing on line talking about who was at the show and what they each cost with the ending shot of Charlie Brown saying he got Joe Shlabotniks autograph and gave Charlie Brown a dollar.
    That would be priceless if you found it.

Poor 'ole Charlie Brown, the players feel so sorry for him they give him money!

My all-time favorite Peanuts strip:

Lucy is playing the outfield, and whiffs on a fly ball.

Charlie Brown: "You're the worst player in the history of the game. I don't know why I keep you on the team." Walks away.

Lucy: "Life is full of mysteries!"

Too funny....way back in high school I photo copied this exact strip out of a peanuts paperback and had it hanging in my room. I felt his pain.
    Russ - Always on the lookout for Jim Abbott, Team USA and Detroit Tigers GU.