Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Restoring a flannel jersey?

I would like to know if you restore the name on the back of a flannel jersey that has been removed, does it take away from the value of the jersey or the authenticity?

Also does anyone have a name of a reliable person or company that does restoration?

Thanks much,

Tom B.

stbarton@roadrunner.com

Banned

Lightbulb Re: Restoring a flannel jersey?

Quote Originally Posted by stbarton View Post
    I would like to know if you restore the name on the back of a flannel jersey that has been removed, does it take away from the value of the jersey or the authenticity?

Also does anyone have a name of a reliable person or company that does restoration?

Thanks much,

Tom B.

stbarton@roadrunner.com
    Tom:

Restorations are purely a matter of collector preference, when done properly. Some collectors wouldn't touch a jersey with a legitimate restoration on it, while others would accept a restored jersey as long as certain criteria were met (more on that later).

The Forum's own Lon Lewis is a master of quality restorations. Some old posts of his, or the McAuliffe jerseys section of the Forum, would have contact information.

Basically, the late Dick Dobbins summed up what constitutes a legitmate restoration as well as anyone. The restoration should be player-accurate (Danny O' Connell N.Y. Giants jersey doesn't suddenly "become" a Willie Mays jersey). It should be material-accurate (2-tone felt NOB on a Cardinals flannel doesn't end up restored as single-tone tackle twill). The value of the jersey should be only a half to 3/4 portion of an all-original specimen. Finally, the restoration should be made known to any prospective buyers/traders.

I personally am OK with quality restorations, but there will be Forum members who disagree with me. It's all a matter of personal preference.

Dave Miedema

Re: Restoring a flannel jersey?

Dave, thank you very much for your perspective and exactly the feedback I was looking for!
    I have had Lon Lewis restore some jerseys for me in the past and his work is exceptional. I had heard he was no longer restoring jerseys, plus I lost his contact information.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply to my question!

Tom B.

I would agree completely. I have several early 70's A's vests that have been restored. In this case it was nearly impossible to find a jersey from this time period for the A's that is orginial. Most were sent down to the minor leagues when they changed uniform styles. I think it is to each his own. good luck

pete

Banned

I personally don't mind a restored jersey, as was noted earlier, many were sent down to the minors and to find one pure from the actual player can be difficult.

I am working on restoring a '63 Phillies Don Demeter. Nobody could patrol centerfield like Don. Just kidding! I need the Tidewater "Tides" restored to "Phillies". Since Lon does not do embroidery, Hunt Auctions referred me to "Embroid Me". They are practically everywhere. We'll see how this goes.

The jersey is beat to hell. Perhaps multiple seasons in the minors. I remember watching the Tidewater Tides, with Larry Hisle and Ron Allen (Dick's younger brother) vs. Winston-Salem Red Sox (?) in 1967. Some fans referred to Hisle and Allen as "Midnight". I can only wonder if one of them was wearing this jersey with Willie's "24" number.

Quote Originally Posted by stbarton View Post
    Dave, thank you very much for your perspective and exactly the feedback I was looking for!
    I have had Lon Lewis restore some jerseys for me in the past and his work is exceptional. I had heard he was no longer restoring jerseys, plus I lost his contact information.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply to my question!

Tom B.
    Lon is still restoring jerseys.
    shadowsdad@att.net