Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: 1999 Griffey Alternate Jersey in Grey Flannel Auction

We are saying the same thing. Comments people make must be based in fact. The evidence presented hasn't shown this jersey to be incorrect. I agree with doing your homework and that you should feel comfortable with the jersey. But some have cast a shadow of doubt without clear evidence. The seller loses because they are out money. A potential buyer loses because they are out a great item. Good luck in your research and bidding

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Baseball83 View Post
    We are saying the same thing. Comments people make must be based in fact. The evidence presented hasn't shown this jersey to be incorrect. I agree with doing your homework and that you should feel comfortable with the jersey. But some have cast a shadow of doubt without clear evidence. The seller loses because they are out money. A potential buyer loses because they are out a great item. Good luck in your research and bidding
    I usually stay out of this sorta thing BUT the evidence does not point to it be 100% legit either. Some good points have been brought up and I don't see an issue with another person asking others for opinions and voicing his concerns.

Banned

To the contrary, the evidence does not support it not being legit. You show a picture but offer no explanation. My opinion is that it is good. I do not in any way take away someone's right to question a piece. But the seller of a legitimate piece should not be penalized either. You prove my point.

I have no idea if the shirt is good or not and agree 100% that if someone syas something is "bad" then please give reasons. From the images it does appear that the nameplate is a bit low on the GF shirt compared to the others though.

One question i have is: Is baseball83 the consignor? If so it would explain his stance on this shirt-that the shirt is good. If not then could he explain why he thinks it is good? Is it based just on the tags?

I personally think that GF over the last 10 years has gotten more and more junk. They had a Joe Montana shirt in this auction that had a size 46 in the description and a size 42 in the image of the tags. To their credit once i pointed this out they took it down but had i not it would have been sold as it already was bid up to almost 2K. Missing things as simple as size is not a good indicator of thorough research to me.

I think the bottom line with ALL auctions is being comfortable with what you buy and if something does not feel right stay away.

Always buying 49ers shirts and paying up to 500$ finders fee for the right shirt.
    Paul
    garciajones@yahoo.com

Unfortunately this discussion is not about Joe Montana, Grey Flannel or me. The discussion is about the Griffey jersey. Stating in a public forum that something is incorrect without offering resonable evidence to the contrary is not wise. I have stated that I directly have seen and inspected this jersey. It is all original with correct tagging. Look at some of the pictures presented, there are many variations of legitimate jerseys. Making someone feel uncomfortable about a legitimate uniform makes as much sense as making someone feel comfortable about an illegitimate uniform. I encourage everyone to do their homework.

I disagree with baseball 83 in the fact that all of this stuff matters. If GF can put up for auction a Montana that is no good, then they can do the same for a Griffey. I am in no way saying that it is good or no good as i have no experience with his shirts.

I also think it is important as to who is commenting. If you are the consignor then you have a vested interest in selling the items and you are gonna say they are good. There are many, many shirts out there with "correct tagging" that are complete junk. Just look at the Lott shirt GF has up. It has the "correct tagging" but does not have the sleeve modifications that Lott used with shirts of that era. I am not saying that the Lott is junk but commenting that it does not resemble the authentic ones i have seen in a # of 49er collections (including my own)

I agree with baseball83 that we should all do our homework but saying something came from an "impeccable source" does nothing for me unless i know the source. With a rare shirt like a Griffey alt., that was worn for only a few games, the spacing of the nameplate is a big deal to me. Obviously one would have to go thru every inning of every game they wore these shirts to prove that it was not worn based on the nameplate variation. Just a quick look at getty shows that the nameplates are clearly closer to the piping in my opinion.

Again it is a free country and we can do whatever we wish with our money but just because a shirt has "correct tagging" does not mean it is genuine. I also agree that if one is too say something is not good then they need to back it up with facts but the opposite is true too. If i post a 49er shirt i will post the reasons it is genuine (presence of team letter, equipment manager tape or mark, photo-match, good evidence of game use or the fact that it came from a known 49er collection). No one has called out anything i have posted yet and thats because i buy only what i know is real based on evidence not just "correct tags".

My intention is not to be a jerk to baseball83 but his list sounds like a Lou Lampson letter. The buyer should not have to assume risk as one would hope that items auctioned would be authentic. To say the buyer has to take the risk that the shirt is real is fairly ridiculous. The only risk a seller takes is that he does not get the $$$ he wants for the shirt. Setting a reserve eliminates that risk.

I do agree that saying something is not good without proof potentially hurts the sale of an item and should be a no-no. The bottom line is that doing ones homework usually works and it appears that the members posting the getty images have done that.

Banned

All valid points, does anyone on here have a 99' mariners jersey in this style that is not typical of the images found on getty or any other site? I think if this one issue could be put to rest, everything else as far as the jersey goes seems fine to me! But like i said before i am no expert, just trying to do my homework and ask people for there opinions... So BB83 do you believe that the piping and nob gap is an issue? I spoke to an expert from GF and they didnt even consider it an issue when i asked!

The NOB and piping is a normal variant of emblem application that I mentioned earlier. Look at some of the differences in the "Seattle" as applied on the front in the pctures provided. Again Grey Flannel and Montanna are not the issue. I am not talking about Lou Lampson either. And yes a buyer assumes risk with every purchase. If you do not feel comfortable then do not buy it. But there has been no proof that this is not a good jersey. Far too many people have opinions but no substance. Their opinions should be weighed accordingly. Good luck bidding.

Banned