X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • djnos7
    Banned
    • Dec 2010

Re: 1999 Griffey Alternate Jersey in Grey Flannel Auction

So here is another one from 99' that was up for auction a while back, with the same makers that are in question! My concern is that they only used these jersey's in a few games in 99' and to have two of them show up for auction, and neither one match the Getty images or any other pictures found is puzzling to me... The spacing between the letters on the NOB for this jersey doesn't seem correct either? Hope this helps.

Comment

• djnos7
      Banned
      • Dec 2010

Also the use on the numbers doesn't seem right for a guy who was changing his jersey quite frequently, this looks like many washing occurred???

Comment

• djnos7
        Banned
        • Dec 2010

sorry for the typo markers not makers...

Comment

• djnos7
          Banned
          • Dec 2010

Does anyone know the exact amount of times these jersey's were worn in 99'?

Comment

• djnos7
            Banned
            • Dec 2010

Solarlottry, i know BB83 said people shouldnt go around saying something isnt right without actual hard proof, which i agree with, but shouldnt the same be said for GF or any other auction house, in the instance of a high dollar amount montana that they listed and then pulled because of your knowledge in those shirts! I thought they were supposed to be the experts, how can a regular guy of the streets start correcting the errors of true professionals? I mean if they can get something as simple as a tag size wrong, what else could be out there that is not accurate? I think that if people want to comment or question an item that they are willing to shell out big money for, and later on down the line find out to be that there item isn't really what it was supposed to be, and are left with expensive junk, i would think that the buyer has incurred all the risk, and potentially has everything to lose! I'm just saying... Apparently someone didn't do there homework on the Montana, and luckily for some perspective buyer, you just saved them a lot of money and headache, because if not for you that jersey would have stayed up and sold, i applaud you!

Comment

• djnos7
              Banned
              • Dec 2010

Sorry, i forgot to add that the last pic i posted of the griff gamer was from a leland auction back in 06'.

Comment

• Mulligans
                • Dec 2009

I think that many of the Auction Houses and the Consignors will pull an item if there are questions raised about the item.

I would not always interpret the removing of an item to be that the Auction House has determined it to be fake.

If there is any doubt whatsoever or too many questions being raised on an item the prudent thing is remove the item and not risk a Public Relations mess.

I personally had several items removed from this Grey Flannel Auction. Each item was purchased directly from the team or the NFL and had the appropriate paperwork. The items were removed because there were specific questions raised on them. One of the Jerseys could not have been what the team said it was......the other items IMO are perfect, but we decided to remove them just the same.....Most of the Auction houses take this stuff very seriously.....and that is definitely the case with Grey Flannel.

Comment

• djnos7
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2010

All i would like to know, is who the impeccable source for this is and where it came from, i don't think that's a lot to ask from a consumers standpoint?

Comment

• MarinersFan34
                    • Jan 2009

In the pictures below is what I can help with. My main collecting focus is the Seattle Mariners, I've collected their cards and photos since the mid 80's and collected M's memorabilia since 2001. I am by NO means an expert on them, as imo there is always something new to learn.

I am not sure why anyone whould just accept something that came from an "impeccable source". If that source is so rock solid, then name them, their rep should speak for itself with nothing more said. However no matter WHO the item comes from, research should STILL be done. We could all go on forever on this part of the topic but I digress, on to the photos.

Here are a variety of scans from Mariners programs and cards from 1999 and 2000.

Now, below are 3 Seattle Mariners 1999 jerseys that I personally own and I’ve included the tagging as well as the source of the item.

Edgar Martinez – COA from Mill Creek Sports

The tagging on the Edgar

Jose Paniagua – Sports Warehouse

The tagging on the Jose

Sam Mejias – I bought direct from the Seattle Mariners

The tagging on the Sammy

Looking at the photos above the closest I can see to a slightly lower nameplate is on the Denny Stark card. However the other difference I see is the actual size of the nameplate, the one on the Griffey in GF seems to be larger than on the others, leaving more fabric around the letters. A closer look makes the last Griffey card look similar but I still don’t believe the spacing is the same on that card as it is on the GF jersey.

I am not an authenticator of course nor would I accept money to do so but the lower nameplate and larger nameplate size are anomalies that I can’t look past and as such I wouldn’t bid. That is just my opinion only and my choice to not bid accordingly as I would prefer a jersey where every aspect matches up.

At this time I do not have a list of the games they were worn in but it is something I’m trying to figure out.
                    Always looking for Seattle Mariners & anything of Felix Hernandez, Jay Buhner, Richie Sexson and Arthur Rhodes.

-Jeremy Morgan

Comment

• Lokee
                      Banned
                      • May 2008

Jeremy,

Thanks for taking the time to take pics and help us out.

Comment

• jppopma
                        • Mar 2006

Why is there any argument about this jersey? Baseball83 inspected it in person and says it's legit!!!!! Who are we to question that?

Maybe he will offer a LOA to whoever the auction winner is and put everyone's fears to rest....

Comment

• djnos7
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2010

Doesnt the jersey already come with a GF LOA? I don't know who BB83 is, so just by him saying he inspected it doesn't do anything for me! I could tell you i inspected something as well, are you going to take my word for it?

Comment

• earlywynnfan
                            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by djnos7
                            Doesnt the jersey already come with a GF LOA? I don't know who BB83 is, so just by him saying he inspected it doesn't do anything for me! I could tell you i inspected something as well, are you going to take my word for it?
                            Uh, I think that was sarcasm jppopma was using there.

Ken
                            earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

Comment

• Baseball83
                              • Feb 2008

Can anyone explain this spacing to me?

Comment

• Baseball83
                                • Feb 2008

Anyone?

Comment

Working...