Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CPuente57
    • Jun 2010

1999 Griffey Alternate Jersey in Grey Flannel Auction

Would appreciates thoughts/opinions on this, Thanks!
    Chris P
    http://chrisptop100.blogspot.com/
  • Baseball83
    • Feb 2008

Re: 1999 Griffey Alternate Jersey in Grey Flannel Auction

It is a great jersey. All original. Correct tagging and great use.

Comment

• CPuente57
      • Jun 2010

bump
      Chris P

Comment

• Baseball83
        • Feb 2008

Unclear what you mean

Comment

• trsent
          Banned
          • Nov 2005

I don't know what the original questioner was hoping for, but "bump" is a way to move a thread to the top asking for more answers. The first reply stated the jersey appears correct, I'm not sure what other opinions the questioner was hoping for.

If everything is correct, why would someone suddenly chime in that there are issues with the jersey?

Comment

• CPuente57
            • Jun 2010

Just looking for a couple more opinions, not that I don't trust the replier, but just seeing if anyone else wanted to chime in, that's all. Thanks!
            Chris P

Comment

• djnos7
              Banned
              • Dec 2010

most likely issued...

Comment

• Baseball83
                • Feb 2008

On what grounds can you say "most likely issued"?

Comment

• kprst6
                  • Mar 2011

This is one of those auction that I always say "Just because it looks old, doesn't mean it was game used".

Who knows how many different owners this jersey has had. It looks old and from the details are of the correct time period but it doesn't look used.

You could take any game issued jersey today, leave it in a room that gets good sunlight, never dust it, and in 11 years, it would look like this jersey.

Comment

• trsent
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by kprst6
                    This is one of those auction that I always say "Just because it looks old, doesn't mean it was game used".

Who knows how many different owners this jersey has had. It looks old and from the details are of the correct time period but it doesn't look used.

You could take any game issued jersey today, leave it in a room that gets good sunlight, never dust it, and in 11 years, it would look like this jersey.
                    So that's the trick! Leave your jersey in your sunroom for eleven years and it will look game used when you take it out of the oven.

I'm not sure how much wear you expect to see on a alternate jersey. It could have been worn one game for all anyone knows.

Comment

• justinwc80
                      • Apr 2009

This has become a problem on the forum, people say things are bad but don't give any real reasons, we can all trash items without actually giving actual observations. If you think something is bad explain why!

Comment

• sox83cubs84
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2009

As far as use goes, there may not be much...I scanned 1999 Mariners game photos on Getty, and, while they don't show every game, the first photos in which I saw the blue Russell alternates being worn were from July 15 and July 17, which was the opening series at Safeco Field. Before that (and sporadically after that) the blue alternates they wore were the Majestic BP-style jerseys.

Can any Seattle collectors and/or Mariners fans confirm or refute my findings?

Dave Miedema

Comment

• griffeyfan
                          • Aug 2007

At first glance it looks good and the size is correct. What gives me pause is the name on the back is not snug near the silver piping. Game used examples of this jersey from 1999 that I've seen show the name very close to the silver piping. GettyImages from July 15 and September 5 confirm this placement.

Can anyone find an image with the name further down as the one in the auction?

Comment

• sox83cubs84
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by griffeyfan
                            At first glance it looks good and the size is correct. What gives me pause is the name on the back is not snug near the silver piping. Game used examples of this jersey from 1999 that I've seen show the name very close to the silver piping. GettyImages from July 15 and September 5 confirm this placement.

Can anyone find an image with the name further down as the one in the auction?
                            Come to think of it, I recall that, as well...and it seemed to apply to all the Mariners Russell alternates, not just The Kid.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• djnos7
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2010

Thanks for giving me a chance to respond! I say most likely issued, due to the fact that from my observation the numbers and letters look to have no puckering whatsoever, also no signs of fraying seem to exists on the threads anywhere on the jersey.

Comment

Working...