Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned

Re: Buying $$$$...but not that one!!!

Quote Originally Posted by solarlottry View Post
    I agree that just because someone posts what they want does not mean that they are willing to pay ridiculous prices for those items. If a fair price can be worked out then great but just because someone posts that they are interested in something is not an obligation to buy anything especially at a ridiculously high price.

Paul
    Paul, you are correct. I often post buying autographed items and then I receive emails offering me items for well above current market prices. Then there are those that email me photos of autographed item that I do not believe are genuine or questionable at best.

I don't get into my thoughts of the authenticity, I just pass on the items and wait for something else.

The problem I find is that some of the people who have emailed me attempting to sell me items are upset that I pass on their items with sour grapes.

I do not have to explain why I am passing, be it high prices, questionable autographs or just an item I don't feel has any market value. I don't want to get into an argument about it. I passed. Thanks for the offer.

I have asked about an item, got a delayed answer due to email filters then when I starightened it out, the price went up because I took so long. It does go both ways for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by UTeric3232 View Post
    Maybe they do have money, and will spend it, but dont like your item

Just bc they say they are buying, doesnt mean they HAVE to buy everything thats offered
    I fully agree with the sentiment expressed here. People have every right to make Want Ads, but that doesn't mean that they have to buy your item. Most people are selective about what they purchase, and they are under no obligation to purchase every item out there from every seller.

However, when people say "buying every item" or "paying top dollar for any [insert name and item here]," I do understand why sellers might be frustrated, especially if they get lowball offers. Sometimes I think such tactics are just a way to hook potential sellers into dealing with the same people without needing to get other offers.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

I'm in the same boat as TNT. Way too many times, I get responses to want ads with outgragious prices. 4x the price I have paid for others is not uncommon at all. It's also funny when the seller get upset that you explain that you already have a similar jersey (different set, or home/road) and paid a quarter of the price. As a buyer, I am looking for diversity in the players I collect and do not want to pay superstar prices for a local kid who barely touched the bigs.

That being said, I am interested in the guys I collect and willing to pay above the normal price...just not 2x-10x as much.

Then again, I don't flash any big $$$$$ or any of that other stuff that I see in way way too many post.

Quote Originally Posted by jppopma View Post
    I'm in the same boat as TNT. Way too many times, I get responses to want ads with outgragious prices. 4x the price I have paid for others is not uncommon at all. It's also funny when the seller get upset that you explain that you already have a similar jersey (different set, or home/road) and paid a quarter of the price. As a buyer, I am looking for diversity in the players I collect and do not want to pay superstar prices for a local kid who barely touched the bigs.

That being said, I am interested in the guys I collect and willing to pay above the normal price...just not 2x-10x as much.

Then again, I don't flash any big $$$$$ or any of that other stuff that I see in way way too many post.
    I am sorry if my method of posting want ads offends you but I do and will pay what I consider to be a fair price for what i want. Additionally when I say that I am interested in ANY 1994 49er gamer that is exactly what i mean. Some of us follow thru with what we post. I am in no way flashing $$$ around but if someone is thinking of selling something I want and see that i am willing to pay a fair price and sometimes a price above market value the $$$$ signs may help them make the decision to sell. if you dont like the want ad dont read it.

Quote Originally Posted by solarlottry View Post
    I am sorry if my method of posting want ads offends you but I do and will pay what I consider to be a fair price for what i want. Additionally when I say that I am interested in ANY 1994 49er gamer that is exactly what i mean. Some of us follow thru with what we post. I am in no way flashing $$$ around but if someone is thinking of selling something I want and see that i am willing to pay a fair price and sometimes a price above market value the $$$$ signs may help them make the decision to sell. if you dont like the want ad dont read it.
    Solarlottry....I'm confused! How did my post seem to get under you skin? It was not about you and did not even refer to you. I know that you are a big 49ers fan and always looking, If you include $$$ in your post that's up to you and your choice. Just said that I don't flash it and that there are too many ppl that seem to throw the "big money" stuff around too much. That's all.

No worries or offense taken. It is quite ironic that many people do post their wants ads like that and when the times comes never back it up. The funny thing is that for all of those ads i have posted very few have ever generated a response!

Even with the posted "finders fee" of up to 500$ for the shirts i am really looking for-no response!!!! If someone had a friend that had one of the 4 shirts i need to complete the entire starting line up of the 94 team i would gladly pay them a hefty finders fee. In fact just today someone collected a 100$ finders fee for connecting me with a fellow 49er collector who sold me a nice shirt. I put my $ where my mouth is. i just wish more people would find that out by selling me the following 94 shirts:

Lee Woodall
    Dennis Brown
    Derrick Deese
    Doug Brien

Always buying 49ers shirts and ANY 1994 49er gamer!
    paul
    garciajones@yahoo.com

Banned

I find this post to be quite funny. In the almost two years I have been on this board. I have posted several want ads and several sale ads. The vast majority of responses for the sale ads was insanely lowball offers which were downright insulting since I normally post my stuff well below market to move it quickly to use towards other purchases. Or even better crazy trade offers. Such as offering questionable junk for a star players item. The vast majority of responses I have received for the want ads are people trying to sell stuff at a large markup and often the stuff they are selling is originally from a major company and is available cheaper directly from such major company every day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    I find this post to be quite funny.
    I agree, but for different reasons... the thread started off being about people claiming they want ALL of Team X or Player Y but responding that in actuality, they are only looking for item Z.

Now it's become a diatribe on lowball offers, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    I agree, but for different reasons... the thread started off being about people claiming they want ALL of Team X or Player Y but responding that in actuality, they are only looking for item Z.

Now it's become a diatribe on lowball offers, etc...
    I think people are just making the point that both Buyers and Sellers can get on one another's nerves in a variety of ways.

As for the big $ business...let's be honest. What's big $ for one person may be pocket change for somebody else. It's dangerous to assume.