Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Unhappy RIP: Bobby Thompson

Bobby Thompson, an outfielder for the Texas Rangers in 1978, died April 25th in Charlotte at age 57.

Dave Miedema

Banned

Re: RIP: Bobby Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    Bobby Thompson, an outfielder for the Texas Rangers in 1978, died April 25th in Charlotte at age 57.

Dave Miedema
    So it has been a rough seven months to be a Major League Baseball player named Bobby Thompson. Only two in history and they both have passed in the last seven months.

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    So it has been a rough seven months to be a Major League Baseball player named Bobby Thompson. Only two in history and they both have passed in the last seven months.
    Joel:

I know what you're getting it, but keep in mind the other player's name actually was:

Bobby Thomson....

When I was looking for an inexpensive Thomson/Branca signed ball a few years ago on eBay, I actually (intentionally) searched under "Bobby Thompson" to save a few bucks..

Bill

Banned

Wink Re: RIP: Bobby Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanfan View Post
    Joel:

I know what you're getting it, but keep in mind the other player's name actually was:

Bobby Thomson....

When I was looking for an inexpensive Thomson/Branca signed ball a few years ago on eBay, I actually (intentionally) searched under "Bobby Thompson" to save a few bucks..

Bill
    Bill,

You're dead on regarding the misspell.

I looked on eBay today under "Bobby Thompson" to see if I could find an autographed baseball card of him (I didn't). Roughly 150 items were listed in the search, and at least 80% of them were items related to Bobby Thomson with his name misspelled as Thompson. One seller even went both ways...he listed a Thomson item with Thomson spelled correctly...then added "Thompson" at the end to make sure that those who made this somewhat common spelling error would see his listing, too.

Dave Miedema

Banned

Here is why I made the mistake:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...bobby+thompson

When you search Bobby Thompson on Baseball Reference, both names show up!

Good catch!

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    Here is why I made the mistake:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...bobby+thompson

When you search Bobby Thompson on Baseball Reference, both names show up!

Good catch!
    I guess they programmed the site so that when you typed "Bobby Thompson" in the search, you most likely wanted Thomson....

That gave me the idea to type in "Ripkin" and got:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...?search=ripkin

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    Bill,

You're dead on regarding the misspell.

I looked on eBay today under "Bobby Thompson" to see if I could find an autographed baseball card of him (I didn't). Roughly 150 items were listed in the search, and at least 80% of them were items related to Bobby Thomson with his name misspelled as Thompson. One seller even went both ways...he listed a Thomson item with Thomson spelled correctly...then added "Thompson" at the end to make sure that those who made this somewhat common spelling error would see his listing, too.

Dave Miedema
    We're you looking for a particular autographed card?

Keeping up with the Baseball Reference dot com theme, they have a cool Blog article about the recently deceased Mr. Thompson (and mention the confusion with his name):

http://www.baseball-reference.com/blog/

I know its off topic but were you planning on coming to bmore for Sox vs O's?

Tried to send you a private message but you have those turned off.

Banned

Arrow Re: RIP: Bobby Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
    We're you looking for a particular autographed card?
    His only Topps card was in 1979, and one of those, or a minr league card, signed by him, would be fine. It would be going to the Baseball Almanac website for the Thompson's player bio page.

BergerKing: Still hoping to make it there, but finances are in the dumper, as usual. If someone else wants the tickets for those games, let 'em go. If I get the finances together in time, then I'll check in. The thoughts and reminder are appreciated.

Dave Miedema