Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • allstarsplus
    • Nov 2005

Re: Players who trade jerseys

Yankees Steiner is working on different holograms to differentiate between game issued and game used.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Comment

• TNTtoys
      • Aug 2006

I thought I'd latch onto the final few comments in this thread regarding the differentiation between game issued and game worn. Kudos to Steiner for starting this -- way too many times we come across jerseys with light wear, and there is no way of telling if they were worn or not worn in a game...
      One of my own personal pet peeves is the jersey that is considered "game worn" or "game used" because a player put it on and sat on the bench for that game. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but this doesn't count for me.
      A good example of my point is the set of jerseys that were recently released to the public from the Mets 20th Anniversary of 1986 weekend. For starters, the Mets did not wear the special jerseys on Friday night of the weekend -- they wore alternate black. Trachsel pitched a gem that night.
      All roster players' jerseys were marked as "game worn," as this is the current standard within the hobby. This includes Trachsel who obviously didn't make an appearance on field in the jersey... this also included other players who were hurt during that series such as Glavine, Martinez, and Valentin... Other pitchers who never made an appearance such as Oliver... but their items are "game used."
      When I display a special gamer, I know that it's going to be a conversation piece... someone is bound to ask me "what did he do in that game???" I'd like to have an answer other than "he sat on the bench" -- sort of takes away that special feeling if you know what I mean!!!

Are we using the term "game used" way too loosely -- what do you guys think???
      Looking for ...
      Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
      Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
      Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Comment

• allstarsplus
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by TNTtoys
        Are we using the term "game used" way too loosely -- what do you guys think???
        We discussed on a "definition" thread game used vs. game issued. The problem is that MLB has defined as you pointed out uniforms worn during the game but didn't play in the game as "game used". That would pertain to the relief pitcher that never saw action, etc.

I think the due dilligence with looking up the boxscores from the games these TBTC jerseys or special jerseys come from and seeing who played is a great step. Why pay top dollar for a jersey that you know only got out of the dugout for singing of the Star Spangled Banner.
        Regards,
        Andrew Lang
        AllstarsPlus@aol.com
        202-716-8500

Comment

• dcrules01
          • Nov 2005

I bought the Oliver jersey.I didnt have a ton of money total cost was $350.That was right up my alley.I figured since MLB was selling the current players Mets authentics for $250 another $100 wasnt bad for a player worn that was on the roster and not hurt or a game worn.Either way im happy with my purchase.Why doesnt MLB classify players that played the game game worn and players that were not on the disable list as player worn.That might solve the problem.
          Looking for Doug Flynn and Joel Youngblood items.NY Mets jerseys 78-82

Thanks Scott dcrules01@msn.com

Comment

• metsbats
            • Nov 2005

I purchased Rick Down's 86 retro. It does have some staining on the front but as we all know Rick did not play in the game but wore it in the clubhouse, dugout and on the field during batting practice. The Mets-Steiner CERT does indicate it as game used even though Rick is a coach and not an actual player.
            metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• kingjammy24
              • Nov 2005

a similar article from the news section:

"'We don't facilitate things; we're just the couriers' said Keith Schulz, the Rockies' director of clubhouse operations. "The guys make their requests, and we do what we can.'...'We get a lot of requests for Todd, but we're getting more and more for Holliday and (Garrett) Atkins, too," Schulz said. 'Usually, opposing players want one of Todd's jerseys. So I'll order it, get Todd to sign it and ship it off to them.'"

rudy.

Comment

• Carlevv
                • May 2007

One all star player would ask me to go to the cage during games to get use on his bats. Yea, he tipped me well for doing it but he was making good money himself. You talk about Manny selling jerseys to make money and how much money does he need? Thats a simple answer. THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH!!!!!!! These guys pay their employees, girlfriends, baby's mama's, strippers, and rolex dealers with the money they make on the side. That way the wife, money manager, agent, or family doesnt know he's spending. Professional athlete 101, if its free its me.

Comment

Working...