Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to obtain GU items from player at a game

Hi

Need some tips on how to approach/ask an MLB player for items at a game - I assume during batting practice is best. If I wanted a glove, do I just ask politely? Or be happy with whatever he gives me, if anything?

Autographs are easy... I want gloves, cleats, etc.

Thanks

Re: How to obtain GU items from player at a game

Check www.zackhample.com for someone that has obtained Major League game used items at games. Over the course of 10 years, you can see how much stuff he has accumulated besides balls. He seems to be one of the best at the MLB level (at least that has a blog or Web site).

I personally have never gotten anything at the Major League level and it would seem hard to do, although I really have not had a great chance to ask (I did see a kid get a bat at an Orioles game last year that had cracked during the game). The key might be to have season tickets for an area near the dugout where players would see you and maybe get to know you. With MLB authenticating items, it would seem harder to obtain items at the MLB level.

Chris

Thanks
    I have gone to BP before, getting there real early and generally, depending on the size of the crowd at that time, security will let you go down to the first row during BP and you can basically stand close enough to have a normally audible conversation with players.

In my experience, they'll sign just about anything and I have seen them hand batting gloves to someone, etc. But I was wondering more for bigger items like a fielding glove, assuming they have a back up or two to dispense with. Of course, they are not going to hand you their game day glove.

A fielding glove is one item players tend to keep each year. The last game of the regular season for the team (assuming the team is not in the playoffs) might be your best bet, but I would think that this would be very difficult.

Chris

I would have to guess that a fielding glove would be near impossible to pick up just by asking at a game. Many players today know the value/meaning of their glove and pass them along to family members or friends. The other half of players have deals with memorabilia companies or other locations that end up selling their glove.

Hundreds of bats and batting gloves are used a year, many jerseys and hats are now worn, but many players only use one glove each season making them an almost impossible pick up at the stadium.
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

I've been meaning to ask this question, but with regards to minor league games. How does one go about acquiring a bat, glove or cleats.

I figured as much for a fielding glove - as luck would have it, it's my favorite thing to collect

Re: minor league games, I have never tried to obtain anything there. I'm under the impression the minor leaguers don't have as much stuff to give away

Although, it's always worth a shot - you won't know until you ask...

I saw a teen get slide a bat after BP from Adam Piatt in the early 2000's after BP. Was standing right next to him, he asked Adam for his batting gloves, and he replied "how about my bat instead?", signed it and slide it up to him over the dugout. Some A's would also throw batting gloves and wrist bands into the crowd after outs once in awhile. Tejada was infamous for that, mostly from being a hot head.

I have also been to Seahawks training camp and seen players give the kids or cute girls their WR gloves as well after practice.

I meant slid a bat...