Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Vintage Football Leather Restoration

A question for football collectors pertaining to some recent pickups. I collect NFL balls of all eras, and with some of my older footballs the condition isn't great - heavily worn to lightly cracking leather, faded markings. Most of the balls aren't really valuable enough to justify the cost of professional restoration, so I was wondering if there's a non-darkening leather conditioner out there that'd be right for use on vintage footballs? Also, are faded markings (as in stamp is still visible, but black color of marking is starting to go) something that can be restored (by some method besides Sharpie)?

Basically, I'm just looking for something that'll prevent damage from compounding, bring a little life back into the leather, and won't do any further harm. I greatly appreciate any help on this!

Re: Vintage Football Leather Restoration

Hi....I am in the same boat. I did come across some leather dressings lately. Lexol and Pecard leather dressings seem to be good for all sorts of leather products. The Lexol has one that is non-darkening.....I am gonna try it soon. Also, Pecard makes an antique formula......but it may darken. Let me know what you find out....Tony