Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation Unbelievable Prices for Jose Bautista Game Used on MLB.com Auctions

Like many of you, I have been impressed by Jose Bautista's power display of the last two seasons. However, I do not understand these prices for his game used items. I could understand the helmet going for about $1,000, but a starting bid of $2,000 seems crazy to me. The same is the case for the jersey. Does anybody think these are remotely fair prices? I would be curious to read your arguments.

http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncomm...unbr=154573061

Bautista Helmet

http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncomm...unbr=154573063

Bautista Jersey
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Re: Unbelievable Prices for Jose Bautista Game Used on MLB.com Auctions

I saw those too when MLB put them up last week and had the same reaction. Do I think they're worth it...ABSOLUTELY NOT! But someone may. Everyone has their favorite player(s), team and price they're willing to pay. What do we always say, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Early this season I recall seeing two game used two tone Marucci's sell for less than $300 each. With his recent barrage you probably couldn't get them for that price but still...

What he did last year and so far this season has no doubt been very impressive but I'm not sure it warrants such a quick and dramatic jump in g/u value. We are still talking about a 31 year old slugger who before this season had a career batting average below .250 and before last season had had averaged only 15 HR's a season. I've watched a lot of his at bats on MLB TV this season and he is fun to watch at the plate though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    Like many of you, I have been impressed by Jose Bautista's power display of the last two seasons. However, I do not understand these prices for his game used items. I could understand the helmet going for about $1,000, but a starting bid of $2,000 seems crazy to me. The same is the case for the jersey. Does anybody think these are remotely fair prices? I would be curious to read your arguments.
    You could look through eBay and look through the For Sale section on this forum and find items all over the place priced too high.

They can set a starting price at whatever they wish. If the item doesn't sell, then they learn they priced it too high.

We could start a whole section on this forum for items priced too high, but I would say we could spend our time better.

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    You could look through eBay and look through the For Sale section on this forum and find items all over the place priced too high.

They can set a starting price at whatever they wish. If the item doesn't sell, then they learn they priced it too high.

We could start a whole section on this forum for items priced too high, but I would say we could spend our time better.
    It's not just that the prices are high. It's that the minimum bids are so far above what is usually seen from MLB.com Auctions. The majority of game used items do not command such a price on the MLB's auction platform.

-Frik
    Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

As a long time Jays fan and collector that lived and set up at shows in Toronto for many years I can tell you that there are some Jays collectors with deep pockets and perhaps will throw true value out if the window when it comes to picking up items they want.

I had a regular customer, a Judge, who has one of the most extensive game used Jays collections I believe in the world and he for example would not blink an eye at paying these prices.

Another example - the Jays just merged with my local Vancouver Canadian AAA team and jointly held a winter hit stove /charity event (proceeds went to a charity similar to the Jays Care Foundation, where these funds are going). I buyer paid over $600 for a Bautista autographed retail bat. It wasn't a gamer or even game ready, it was a retail, made for show signing bat. When charities are involved, bets are off.

Saying that, I believe that these may sell with one or two bids only.
    WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game jersey

chris@pacmedia.ca

MLB is pricing 99% of the very fans that support them riight out of the collecting hobby with auctions like that.

Sad.

ncb
    ------------------------------------------------
    Josh Hamilton gamers WANTED

NCBADGES@embarqmail.com

ACTS 4:10

I missed the bat; that's $2000 alone.

http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncomm...unbr=154573062
    Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

Yeah - I can't believe some of the prices the Jays ask on gear. As a collector and as a businessman it just seems ruthless. Yes - it's their property and its supporting their charity but it's just downright insane. It's like they are pulling arbitrary numbers out of a hat, kind of like the Reds do now on some of their game used.
    - CINCINNATI REDS/JOEY VOTTO BATS
    Email: rdeversole@gmail.com Twitter: @dugoutrelics

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    I missed the bat; that's $2000 alone.

http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncomm...unbr=154573062
    Wonder how much the bat would be if it didn't have a piece missing

Banned

I've picked up several Bautista items since posting in the wanted section. I can't wait to share all my items with the group later this week.