Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • frikativ54
    • Dec 2007

Unbelievable Prices for Jose Bautista Game Used on MLB.com Auctions

Like many of you, I have been impressed by Jose Bautista's power display of the last two seasons. However, I do not understand these prices for his game used items. I could understand the helmet going for about $1,000, but a starting bid of $2,000 seems crazy to me. The same is the case for the jersey. Does anybody think these are remotely fair prices? I would be curious to read your arguments.

Bautista Helmet

Bautista Jersey
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408
  • tbone90
    • Nov 2008

Re: Unbelievable Prices for Jose Bautista Game Used on MLB.com Auctions

I saw those too when MLB put them up last week and had the same reaction. Do I think they're worth it...ABSOLUTELY NOT! But someone may. Everyone has their favorite player(s), team and price they're willing to pay. What do we always say, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Early this season I recall seeing two game used two tone Marucci's sell for less than $300 each. With his recent barrage you probably couldn't get them for that price but still...

What he did last year and so far this season has no doubt been very impressive but I'm not sure it warrants such a quick and dramatic jump in g/u value. We are still talking about a 31 year old slugger who before this season had a career batting average below .250 and before last season had had averaged only 15 HR's a season. I've watched a lot of his at bats on MLB TV this season and he is fun to watch at the plate though.

Comment

• trsent
      Banned
      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by frikativ54
      Like many of you, I have been impressed by Jose Bautista's power display of the last two seasons. However, I do not understand these prices for his game used items. I could understand the helmet going for about $1,000, but a starting bid of $2,000 seems crazy to me. The same is the case for the jersey. Does anybody think these are remotely fair prices? I would be curious to read your arguments.
      You could look through eBay and look through the For Sale section on this forum and find items all over the place priced too high.

They can set a starting price at whatever they wish. If the item doesn't sell, then they learn they priced it too high.

We could start a whole section on this forum for items priced too high, but I would say we could spend our time better.

Comment

• frikativ54
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by trsent
        You could look through eBay and look through the For Sale section on this forum and find items all over the place priced too high.

They can set a starting price at whatever they wish. If the item doesn't sell, then they learn they priced it too high.

We could start a whole section on this forum for items priced too high, but I would say we could spend our time better.
        It's not just that the prices are high. It's that the minimum bids are so far above what is usually seen from MLB.com Auctions. The majority of game used items do not command such a price on the MLB's auction platform.

-Frik
        Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

Comment

• cjw
          • Oct 2006

As a long time Jays fan and collector that lived and set up at shows in Toronto for many years I can tell you that there are some Jays collectors with deep pockets and perhaps will throw true value out if the window when it comes to picking up items they want.

I had a regular customer, a Judge, who has one of the most extensive game used Jays collections I believe in the world and he for example would not blink an eye at paying these prices.

Another example - the Jays just merged with my local Vancouver Canadian AAA team and jointly held a winter hit stove /charity event (proceeds went to a charity similar to the Jays Care Foundation, where these funds are going). I buyer paid over $600 for a Bautista autographed retail bat. It wasn't a gamer or even game ready, it was a retail, made for show signing bat. When charities are involved, bets are off.

Saying that, I believe that these may sell with one or two bids only.
          WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game jersey

chris@pacmedia.ca

Comment

• ncbadges
            • May 2010

MLB is pricing 99% of the very fans that support them riight out of the collecting hobby with auctions like that.

Sad.

ncb
            ------------------------------------------------
            Josh Hamilton gamers WANTED

NCBADGES@embarqmail.com

ACTS 4:10

Comment

• frikativ54
              • Dec 2007

I missed the bat; that's $2000 alone.

Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

Comment

• rdeversole
                • Dec 2009

Yeah - I can't believe some of the prices the Jays ask on gear. As a collector and as a businessman it just seems ruthless. Yes - it's their property and its supporting their charity but it's just downright insane. It's like they are pulling arbitrary numbers out of a hat, kind of like the Reds do now on some of their game used.
                - CINCINNATI REDS/JOEY VOTTO BATS
                Email: rdeversole@gmail.com Twitter: @dugoutrelics

Comment

• Manram
                  • Nov 2008

Originally posted by frikativ54
                  I missed the bat; that's $2000 alone.

http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncomm...unbr=154573062
                  Wonder how much the bat would be if it didn't have a piece missing

Comment

• schubert1970
                    Banned
                    • Jun 2008

I've picked up several Bautista items since posting in the wanted section. I can't wait to share all my items with the group later this week.

Comment

• sox83cubs84
                      Banned
                      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by rdeversole
                      Yeah - I can't believe some of the prices the Jays ask on gear. As a collector and as a businessman it just seems ruthless. Yes - it's their property and its supporting their charity but it's just downright insane. It's like they are pulling arbitrary numbers out of a hat, kind of like the Reds do now on some of their game used.
                      I agree the prices are often high, but at least the stuff is out there. Prior to the early 1990s, the Jays went out of their way to make sure that jerseys DIDN'T enter the hobby. Old-Timers will remember the relative scarcity of Blue Jays gamers back then. Jays stuff was hard enough to find that two of the best known flannel collectors in the Philly/Baltimore/DC corridor got fooled on a fake of a LLOYD MOSEBY! Pricing could be better, but at least
                      they're out there.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• Skizzick
                        • Mar 2011

$2000 for a late blooming, flash in the pan power hitter, who will probably be outed as having used HGH? No thanks.

Comment

• vballGuy
                          • Dec 2009

As a huge Jays collector, I am also flabbergasted by how high these prices are. I remember in 2009, on the Jays website, (before Bautista started taking off), they were selling a Bautista game-worn Jays Canada jersey for $400. In fact, I believe they bumped it down in price and put it on the sale section of the website.....unbelievable how things change when a guy starts hitting.

I also agree with Dave's comment.....at least these Jays jerseys are available......try finding Blue Jays gamers from the 70s and 80s, and they are next to impossible to find. To a degree, same goes for early 90s gamers as well.
                          ------------------------------------
                          My Blue Jays Collection

Comment

• kprst6
                            • Mar 2011

The bottom line is you shouldn't need a high starting bid if the item is worth that amount of money since people would bid up to at least that amount of money anyways.

Comment

• trsent
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Skizzick
                              $2000 for a late blooming, flash in the pan power hitter, who will probably be outed as having used HGH? No thanks.
                              Do we just randomly attack players these days for possibly doing something wrong? We could start a whole new slander forum for that.

Comment

Working...