Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: primer on Wilson tagging - 60s to 90s

Anyone encountered this tag (on an NFL jersey or otherwise)? I believe it's circa 1988.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

BrianK

I have never seen that particular type of Wilson tag until one popped up on eBay and another in a recent MEARS Auction. There as another thread somewhere that may have addressed that specific tag but I cannot recall what the outcome was.

The issue with this tag is that the 49ers wore Russell through the 1989 season and switched to Wilson in 1990. One possibility would be that the team wanted to evaluate the Wilson jersey during the 1989 season and thus had a handful of the shirts for use. If you scroll back in this thread though, the 1988-89 Wilson tagging is not consistent with the image you provided.

I have seen a number of Russell 49er gamers that were worn during the late 80s that were used in the early 90s. This was common with DL and OL gamers as the players did not want to give up their Russell shirts. I have several examples of Russell 49er gamers with the NFL shield sewn on, which would indicate a 1988 or 1989 jersey being used in 1991.

As for theparticular Wilson tag you posted, if anyone else can chime in that would be great.

Always buying 49er game worn jerseys and paying a finders fee.
    Paul
    garciajones@yahoo.com

This style of tag must be pretty scarce.... I also noticed the incorrect punctuation in the phrase: Brand of the Pro's
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Quote Originally Posted by commando View Post
    This style of tag must be pretty scarce.... I also noticed the incorrect punctuation in the phrase: Brand of the Pro's
    Anthony,

Like you, I also thought this use of an apostrophe was incorrect. However, when "Pro" is used as an abbreviation for "Professional", a use of an apostrophe to show the plural version of "Pro's" is correct. Believe me, the butchering of the apostrophe by our fellow forum members has inspired hours of research.

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    Anthony,

Like you, I also thought this use of an apostrophe was incorrect. However, when "Pro" is used as an abbreviation for "Professional", a use of an apostrophe to show the plural version of "Pro's" is correct. Believe me, the butchering of the apostrophe by our fellow forum members has inspired hours of research.
    Gotcha. I was on the fence whether or not this may be correct... Thanks for the facts!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Quote Originally Posted by commando View Post
    Gotcha. I was on the fence whether or not this may be correct... Thanks for the facts!
    I believe the logic behind the ' usage is that it's replacing the "fessional" part of the word in abbreviation. It's similar to the usage of gov't for government.

Back to the thread itself, though, given the educational value of this thread was primarily from the tagging shown in the first post (images of which are no longer in the post), could someone please attempt to reconstruct the tagging primer?

Wilson Tagging Anomaly

I don't recall seeing a post on this before, but note that the tagging example on this '78 Yankees jersey.

It appears to have the 74-77 Wilson logo font & trademark location, while exhibiting the 78-85 washing instructions and the number serifs from the same period.

R.J. Hinners

Always looking for Don Mattingly and other Yankees' game-used items and quality memorabilia.

Does there happen to be a primer with an example of a Wilson tag that is on the neck?

Banned

Lightbulb Re: primer on Wilson tagging - 60s to 90s

Also, while only minimally involving tagging, 4 MLB teams in 2000 that were Majestic teams actually had the actual uniforms made by Wilson under a sub-contracting deal. The strip tagging in the collars and tails of the 4 teams (Cubs, White Sox, Brewers and Blue Jays) used Wilson's embroidery font for the numbers and names, not what Majestic used beginning in 2001. The Majestic logo on the sleeve for these 4 teams was a tiny, sewn-on patch rather than a logo stitched directly into the sleeve. Finally, the interior tag, being that they were actually made at Wilson's factory, did not carry the 0062 code like the three other teams Majestic was assigned that were made at Majestic's factory (Phillies, Orioles and Astros).

Dave Miedema

Can someone post the original primer again as seems to not be available anymore in this thread
    Thanks