Why teams marketing their jerseys only hurts their fans.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • frikativ54
    • Dec 2007

Re: Why teams marketing their jerseys only hurts their fans.

Originally posted by godwulf
    The Diamondbacks sell their game-used in the Team Shop for charity, which is fine, but they aren't really all that smart about it. Instead of selling a regular-season jersey at a reasonable price, they put out the Jackie Robinson and "Los DBacks" jerseys at MLB Auctions-type prices, and they sell all their bats - even some bench player who was with the team briefly in '05 - for a minimum of $125. I guess they figure, since it's for charity, why make a big effort?
    Have you had problems with MLB.com Auctions' prices? I've not had a hard time with their prices, but that's probably only because I'm really selective about what I buy on there.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Comment

• legaleagle92481
      Banned
      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by frikativ54
      You think all teams are like that? I've found that it varies depending upon which entity does the selling. The Mariners, for instance, can have crazy prices. I usually only buy game used from the M's Team Store if it is on sale.

However, I have gotten some decent deals on items from other ballclubs. For instance, I've never found the Astros to ridiculously price their stuff. The same is the case with some of the stuff I've bought from teams off of MLB.com Auctions.

Are there any particular teams that you feel cheat out their fans with game used?
      Here are a few off the top of my head:

Atlanta Braves (The lady who handles it is very nice but the prices are crazy)
      New York Mets
      New York Yankees (Yes, they go through Steiner but still check out those prices a common player goes for aout a grand on a jersey. they charge between four and ten grand for stars)
      Detriot Tigers
      Toronto Blue Jays

Comment

• solarlottry
        • Jan 2009

From 1992-1995 the 49ers sold their game used jerseys thru MOS and for the most part everything was reasonably priced with the superstars (Rice, Young and Deion) being the most expensive. Even Steve Young's shirt from the 1994 SB season was only 1250$ at the time and Deion was 950$ so still fairly reasonable at that time. i was able to buy 2 Steve Young, a Rice and 2 Deion shirts back then and still have them all except one of the Deion Sanders shirts. The shirts came with a COA that the team put some pride into so whoever was in charge of these sales did care about the product.

Prior to 1992 shirts were sold by Bronco and he truly cared about the "fan" and the quality of the items sold. Checks were always made out to the 49ers so the money went right back into the team.

After 1995 things changed and eventually Wayne Otto bought what he could haul from 49er HQ.He left behind box upon box of unknown uniforms etc as his truck was full as he had hit up the Golden State Warriors first-a true tactical error. He keeps telling me he is going back for the remaining stuff but has not.

At least the 49ers have made the effort to make available basically jerseys from the late 70s-2006. They also regularly list many shirts on NFL Auctions and some end up quite reasonable in price. I picked up an Ahmed Brooks gamer from the International Series for 300$ and Andy Lee's shirt sold for only 220$ (best punter in NFL)!

Always buying 49ers gamers and ANY 1994 SHIRT REGARDLESS OF PLAYER and PAYING UP TO A 500$ FINDERS FEE for the right shirt.

Paul
        garciajones@yahoo.com

Comment

• Shipp_96
          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by frikativ54
          You think all teams are like that? I've found that it varies depending upon which entity does the selling. The Mariners, for instance, can have crazy prices. I usually only buy game used from the M's Team Store if it is on sale.

However, I have gotten some decent deals on items from other ballclubs. For instance, I've never found the Astros to ridiculously price their stuff. The same is the case with some of the stuff I've bought from teams off of MLB.com Auctions.

Are there any particular teams that you feel cheat out their fans with game used?
          I agree with your assessment of the M's 1000%. Matt Tuiasosopo and Chone Figgins game worn jerseys for $500, that show little to no use?

Anything Ichiro (like a ball that is game used) is a minimum of $200-300...anything signed, regardless of not even being game used...$550 or above from him.

The Griffy Jr. items (which I would love to have) even just signed are premium priced.

When I do get deals, as you stated, they are either on sale, or the downstairs shop has something the primary upstairs shop are unaware of (like game worn helmets for $80, which are a decent price).

For my money, when I lived down in the Bay Area, both the A's and Giants had nice game used items for affordable prices from every day players.

Now premium players (back then Chavez, Hudson, Tejada, Bonds, Kent) would always go for big $$$ still. But at least you could add a Ray Durham, Mark Ellis or Terrance Long for a decent price to your collection.

The Orioles have a team owned store on the border of PA/MD that sells nice game used items for a decent price also. Sadly, recently they have started to raise their prices as well.

Comment

• MarinersFan34
            • Jan 2009

Yea, with the M's it's very unfortunate. I slammed my head into the wall for years trying to get them to change their practices when I worked there. All I ever got back every time was, the person in charge is doing the job just fine we see no need to change it now yes, even with 80% of the inventory staying unsold in the shop all year.

Yet it seems after each season most of the shirts sit and sit then get wholesaled to Kruk. You know if you offered those same prices or even something more reasonable than the current opnes to your local fans I bet they'd buy more. Whats worse is that ALL game used stuff is 100% profit for the team store, every single gu item they get is purchased under the Operations budget and then given to the store once they're done with it. The money doesn't go back to Operations it goes right into the retail bottom line.

One time I was even told it was against MLB policy to run an email sales list such as the ones that the Tigers, Braves, Giants, etc. send out to promote sales. Hmm, if that's the case wonder why MLB hasn't stopped them

The best prices are during special sales or the M's care auction and/or garage sale. Even the M's care "Buy it Now" auction prices beat the Mariners team store prices most of the time.

In the end I don't think it's a bad thing for teams to brings their gu sales in house as long as it's done by someone who knows and follows the hobby and prices things to sell. Doesn't sounds like any team does that very well yet.
            Always looking for Seattle Mariners & anything of Felix Hernandez, Jay Buhner, Richie Sexson and Arthur Rhodes.

-Jeremy Morgan

Comment

Working...