Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why teams marketing their jerseys only hurts their fans.

For 8 glorious seasons, I was able to easily obtain nearly any and all jerseys worn by my beloved hockey team. They were marketed to the public using incredibly strict and stringent authenticity regulations. The company selling them replied to phone calls and emails quickly and honestly. In the rare instance that something went wrong, I can easily rattle off several instances where they more than made up for it. Yet with all of the wonderful praise I can heap upon MeiGray, the crown jewel of the Vancouver Canucks affiliation with them was the fact I had a long standing, 8 year preorder for Sami Salo's Stanley Cup Finals jersey if they ever made it.

This season, the Canucks decided to market their own jerseys. Prices for common game worn jerseys start at a minimum of double anything MeiGray charged. The rare 40th Anniversary jerseys were worn in two sets and while the first sold out at prices I have only seen on NHL Auctions, the second set was privately sold to one of the teams partners as a complete set rather than to the public.

I was thrilled to hear from the head of their game worn program in February that, like MeiGray, the team accepted my pre-order for Salo's SCF jersey if they made it. Imagine how much faith I lost in the team when I found out third hand from a collector on another board that the team decided to keep the Finals jerseys. They did not even have enough respect for a long time fan to notify me themselves. I fail to believe MeiGray's customer service would ever allow this to happen.

When I heard the team had decided not to resign with MeiGray, my biggest worry was the fact their price structure was insultingly outside market values. Being lied to and not being treated with enough respect to own up to it before getting caught with their pants down is frankly bush league pathetic. Considering the fact it comes after having the one other style unique to this season worn by my favorite player horded by the team for corporate sponsorship and the picture comes in loud and clear: Fans now only matter to the Canucks if they are willing to overpay for the common crap they make available and all jerseys of a unique or special nature will no longer be available to the average 22 season long fan.
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Banned

Re: Why teams marketing their jerseys only hurts their fans.

The Braves send out emails for the game used items they have for purchase.
    The prices are so stupid high that I usually don't even look at the emails anymore.

The Tigers do to, what's funny is they have ridiculous prices and you don't even get to see photos (at least our guy). He will give you some scan from 12 feet away of the bat. If you ask about use its usually "yea its pretty used". What does that mean? It really is terrible its hit or miss, no one wants to pay a hiked price for a bat that has seen one AB where he hit a foul ball and cracked it.

Also it seems the Tigers really are into making a buck. Check some of the other threads the auctions they put up on MLB are absurdly stupid.

-Tony
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Always looking for ALEX AVILA, ALBERT PUJOLS, HOME RUN BATS, and any high end gamers from 90's-00's stars.

Tony Servitto
    My Email: servitto84@yahoo.com
    My Website: http://vitosbatsandmemorabilia.webs.com/

I feel for you, gingi. I have seen over the years how dedicated you are to collecting Sami Salo stuff, and I've always admired your dedication. When I found out the Canucks were no longer letting MeiGray handle their stuff, I immediately thought of you. Who would've thought that the year they pull out from MeiGray is the year they make it to the finals, and hopefully will win the Cup.

I also find it disgusting what they are doing to you. Not only will these Stanley Cup finals jerseys be rare, they will be next to impossible to find after the series is over.
    ------------------------------------
    My Blue Jays Collection

Would it be appropriate to make an offer on an over priced jersey? I've considered this a few times, anyone have any luck when dealing with teams directly?

ScS
    Following Game Used/Worn auctions and team sales: www.twitter.com/gameused

Feel your pain! I worked for the owners of the team for one year here in Vancouver (2007/08). The team had a mediocre year and the HQ (non hockey staff....of roughly 30 ppl) were told we would recieve signed replica jerseys from the team and that we could come down to the stadium to have them signed in person. This was an anticipated perk for a guy that out in 60-80 hour weeks for them as a Manager.

That promise changed to - here's your jersey, singed by most of the team and that will be $150 pls. I guess that the value isn't bad, it just was another reason for me to lose respect for the manner in which they operated. A dollar is important, but isn't everything.

Quote Originally Posted by gingi79 View Post
    For 8 glorious seasons, I was able to easily obtain nearly any and all jerseys worn by my beloved hockey team. They were marketed to the public using incredibly strict and stringent authenticity regulations. The company selling them replied to phone calls and emails quickly and honestly. In the rare instance that something went wrong, I can easily rattle off several instances where they more than made up for it. Yet with all of the wonderful praise I can heap upon MeiGray, the crown jewel of the Vancouver Canucks affiliation with them was the fact I had a long standing, 8 year preorder for Sami Salo's Stanley Cup Finals jersey if they ever made it.

This season, the Canucks decided to market their own jerseys. Prices for common game worn jerseys start at a minimum of double anything MeiGray charged. The rare 40th Anniversary jerseys were worn in two sets and while the first sold out at prices I have only seen on NHL Auctions, the second set was privately sold to one of the teams partners as a complete set rather than to the public.

I was thrilled to hear from the head of their game worn program in February that, like MeiGray, the team accepted my pre-order for Salo's SCF jersey if they made it. Imagine how much faith I lost in the team when I found out third hand from a collector on another board that the team decided to keep the Finals jerseys. They did not even have enough respect for a long time fan to notify me themselves. I fail to believe MeiGray's customer service would ever allow this to happen.

When I heard the team had decided not to resign with MeiGray, my biggest worry was the fact their price structure was insultingly outside market values. Being lied to and not being treated with enough respect to own up to it before getting caught with their pants down is frankly bush league pathetic. Considering the fact it comes after having the one other style unique to this season worn by my favorite player horded by the team for corporate sponsorship and the picture comes in loud and clear: Fans now only matter to the Canucks if they are willing to overpay for the common crap they make available and all jerseys of a unique or special nature will no longer be available to the average 22 season long fan.
    WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game jersey

chris@pacmedia.ca

Quote Originally Posted by spartanservitto View Post
    The Tigers do to, what's funny is they have ridiculous prices and you don't even get to see photos (at least our guy). He will give you some scan from 12 feet away of the bat. If you ask about use its usually "yea its pretty used". What does that mean? It really is terrible its hit or miss, no one wants to pay a hiked price for a bat that has seen one AB where he hit a foul ball and cracked it.

Also it seems the Tigers really are into making a buck. Check some of the other threads the auctions they put up on MLB are absurdly stupid.

-Tony
    Not to derail this thread, but do you have a game-used contact for the Tigers?
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

You will get an email daily from the Tigers selling anything and everything

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sincityson View Post
    Would it be appropriate to make an offer on an over priced jersey? I've considered this a few times, anyone have any luck when dealing with teams directly?

ScS
    All they can say is yes or no. I don't see how it could be considered inappropriate to make an offer to them.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    You will get an email daily from the Tigers selling anything and everything
    Good. I'd like to have more choices as to what I buy.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408