Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Classy

Re: Classy

Speaking of giving baseballs away, I know this is a bit off-topic, but several times over the weekend, when home run balls were hit by opposing team players (far too many times, last night, I must say), and the "Throw it back!" chants started up, I wanted to hit somebody. I've come to the conclusion that it's mostly coming from people who really don't know shite about Baseball, but want to make the people they're with, or the people around them, think they do. They've heard somewhere that this is a "Baseball tradition" and they believe it. God, what morons!

Quote Originally Posted by godwulf View Post
    Speaking of giving baseballs away, I know this is a bit off-topic, but several times over the weekend, when home run balls were hit by opposing team players (far too many times, last night, I must say), and the "Throw it back!" chants started up, I wanted to hit somebody. I've come to the conclusion that it's mostly coming from people who really don't know shite about Baseball, but want to make the people they're with, or the people around them, think they do. They've heard somewhere that this is a "Baseball tradition" and they believe it. God, what morons!
    I agree, if I catch a HR I don't care if it's the home team or the visitors i'm keeping it. I couldn't believe some idiot would throw Konerko's HR back this weekend. Potential HOFer HR baseball and they just throw it back.

Reminds me of the Angels fan who threw Arods 300 HR baseball back after he caught it. Arod said he had tons of stuff ready to trade for the ball and he got it back for free. idiots!!

If I felt that strongly about not wanting to keep a home run ball, I'd give it to somebody wearing the other team's jersey, who would probably treasure it. I fielded a Barry Bonds home run ball in ST, ten years ago, and gave it to a small African-American boy wearing a Bonds jersey sitting nearby. Probably the biggest ovation I ever got in my life, but that's not why I did it. I didn't want the ball, but for the kid it was a treasure. It's not every day you get the chance to give somebody a treasure.

If I felt that strongly about not wanting to keep a home run ball, I'd give it to somebody wearing the other team's jersey, who would probably treasure it. I fielded a Barry Bonds home run ball in ST, ten years ago, and gave it to a small African-American boy wearing a Bonds jersey sitting nearby. Probably the biggest ovation I ever got in my life, but that's not why I did it. I didn't want the ball, but for the kid it was a treasure. It's not every day you get the chance to give somebody a treasure.
    Nice move. It's great to read about something like this.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

You're a god (wulf). That's an awesome story.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Banned

Exclamation Re: Classy

But just a little off topic, I don't completely agree with the whole "give the foul ball you catch to a random little kid." I was at a Nationals-Phillies game once and I caught a foul ball. The people in my section were urging me to give it to a kid, which I intended to do at first, but then I found a WWII veteran nearby (I could tell from his hat), and I gave the ball to him.
    "This is for you, sir. You deserve it more than some kid. Please don't give it to your grandson." I said.
    "My grandsons are 32 and 35." He said.[/quote]

I agree fully...if I catch a game ball I wouldn't give it to President Obama NOR Sarah Palin if they were sitting next to me. If I catch multiple baseballs in BP, I may give one to a kid, although my preferred gift recipients are veterans and disabled people.

Most kids at the ballpark are quite adept at mooching baseballs from players on their own, sometimes to the tune of 3 or 4 or even more...those kids sure don't need my help.

Dave Miedema