Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: PayPal as a Gift

I find it very hard to believe that big time business Paypal didn't calculate these "gift" sales transactions when it implemented the gift option--it takes out from their contractual responsiblity with users of having to deal with the headaches from resolving fraudulent or otherwise failed transactions (and commensurate hiring of personnel to deal with same). If paypal objected, there would be an explicit warning somewhere at point of transaction. When losing $ on charges > costs to deal with certain sales transaction, they'll clamp down.

It's true that a serious team or player collector will buy an item he/she wants with little haggling. A seller is very fortunate when they offer an item that fits in that category. The reality though is that many GU items up for sale are not in heavy demand, meaning the seller has to make the item as attractive as possible to appeal to potential buyers.

There is no doubt that it is a buyer's market right now. Cash is scarce. If you're selling items from you collection because of need, then you know this. Many collectors right now just don't have the money to buy random things for their collection, so they have to choose wisely and look for value. If someone is on the fence about buying an item and sees the seller is requesting a Paypal gift, there's a good chance they'll just move on to the next opportunity. You can argue all day about the "gift" payment not being a big deal, but I can tell you I have passed on more than one deal because of it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Quote Originally Posted by G1X View Post
    What I find interesting in this thread is that while many folks have mentioned that they do not want to use the "Gift" option because they lose the buyer protection, the most important point is being ignored. Simply stated, using the "Gift" option on a sale/purchase is DISHONEST, UNETHICAL, and FRAUDULENT.

The simple solution is that if you do not like Pay Pal's rules and do not feel that the fees are fair, simply ask for payment through another instrument such as a Money Order, bank check, bank wire, personal check, etc. And don't use ebay if you are not willing to play by their payment rules (Pay Pal).
    That's the bottom line -- well said.

what i find most ironic is that a good # of the people who are so quick to label sellers as "greedy" for not wanting to foot the bill for paypal fees are probably the same collectors who make lowball offers on items.

truthfully, i dont like using paypal. as a seller i think it's a crock of s. i dont see why im supposed to eat 3.5% so some j4ck0ff can turn around and claim that i sent them a ratty t-shirt instead of a $400 jersey, file a claim, get their money back and get to keep the jersey i sent them. as a seller, where's my protection when something like that happens, so again why pay the 3.5%? so i can get my money faster?

im happy to wait for a check to clear or for a MO to arrive. im not in a big rush. however, im smart enough to see paypal as a necessary evil today. the same way people pass over items for sale if a seller insists on someone sending the money as a gift (which i never ever do) is the same way some buyers will pass on an item if a seller doesnt accept paypal. if you do any kind of buying and selling today, you have to have it.

forgive me if im coming off as bitter. im honestly not. i just dont appreciate people making blind and false assumptions about how anyone who prefers to deal with gifts is "greedy," "dishonest," or is guilty of "fraudulent" activities. those are some pretty heavy adjectives to throw around and are most certainly not true in most cases, certainly not in mine. the truth is that i would rather deal with money orders. i mean, how many times have we either read or said to ourselves, "someone really needs to come up with a better alternative to paypal?"

i pride myself on my reputation and honesty. in a hobby like this, those are 2 of the most important things that collectors can have going for them, but yes, let's lump honest people who try to bypass a sometimes very silly and very ineffective system with people who fake jerseys and rip other collectors off. that makes no sense to me

to add another point, just so everyone is clear, i never force or try to steer a buyer into sending payment as a gift or spring the extra fee at the last minute ever ever ever. the only reason why i even offer the option these days is to save buyers a few extra bucks

as a previous member mentioned, money is tight now, so collectors are looking for the best possible deal on an item. i have a bunch of items currently listed on ebay now with BINs and BO options. more times than not, buyers arent even making offers anymore. they just send direct messages asking what my bottom line, drop dead price is.

to that, i provide a bunch of options. one such way is that if they're willing to send payment as a gift or via bank check or MO, i can shave that money off the price. if they dont want to do that, i dont particularly care. however, if they want a bottom line, drop dead price, i give it to them. if they want a bottom line price with ebay and paypal involved for their ease of mind too, i also give them that.

first and foremost, i want them to be comfortable in completing a deal with me and will do anything it takes to ensure that that happens.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ferro39 View Post
    the only reason why i even offer the option these days is to save buyers a few extra bucks
    ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

im happy to wait for a check to clear or for a MO to arrive. im not in a big rush.
    Plenty of buyers (myself included) like to get their items quick. I pay via Paypal and often have the item in 3 days. Same goes for selling. I ship same day, as long as the post office is open.

I'm sure many of these fee tackers are the same sellers that parcel post the item rather than cough up another two quarters for Priority.

if at all possible, i ship within 24 hours. if i have free time, i sometimes get jerseys out within the hour. i also always expedited shipping speed if possible.

who knows? from what ive been reading, maybe im the exception in that regard and shouldnt take any of this personally

and im serious freeman. if i have an item that i know that i absolutely cant clear less than $500 for, i either have to charge the $517 or whatever it is through paypal or i can get take the $500 as a gift, MO, etc

G1X You took the WORD right outta my MOUTH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ferro39 View Post
    what i find most ironic is that a good # of the people who are so quick to label sellers as "greedy" for not wanting to foot the bill for paypal fees are probably the same collectors who make lowball offers on items.

truthfully, i dont like using paypal. as a seller i think it's a crock of s. i dont see why im supposed to eat 3.5% so some j4ck0ff can turn around and claim that i sent them a ratty t-shirt instead of a $400 jersey, file a claim, get their money back and get to keep the jersey i sent them. as a seller, where's my protection when something like that happens, so again why pay the 3.5%? so i can get my money faster?

im happy to wait for a check to clear or for a MO to arrive. im not in a big rush. however, im smart enough to see paypal as a necessary evil today. the same way people pass over items for sale if a seller insists on someone sending the money as a gift (which i never ever do) is the same way some buyers will pass on an item if a seller doesnt accept paypal. if you do any kind of buying and selling today, you have to have it.

forgive me if im coming off as bitter. im honestly not. i just dont appreciate people making blind and false assumptions about how anyone who prefers to deal with gifts is "greedy," "dishonest," or is guilty of "fraudulent" activities. those are some pretty heavy adjectives to throw around and are most certainly not true in most cases, certainly not in mine. the truth is that i would rather deal with money orders. i mean, how many times have we either read or said to ourselves, "someone really needs to come up with a better alternative to paypal?"

i pride myself on my reputation and honesty. in a hobby like this, those are 2 of the most important things that collectors can have going for them, but yes, let's lump honest people who try to bypass a sometimes very silly and very ineffective system with people who fake jerseys and rip other collectors off. that makes no sense to me
    Ferro39,

This is one of the Best Post's i have read in a long time, and with regards to paypal with the SCAMing Buyer's having all the rights. I am getting very leary of accepting it anymore, i have never had a problem with anyone who POST's on this Forum that i recognize.

Sometimes asking for PayPal as gift can scare the Scammers off, especially the oppurtunistic low life that surf Ebay.

If your a serious enough buyer willing to send a M.O.,Cashiers check, etc., makes you a seroiusly accountable person in my book.

I insure everthing i sell for the purchased price no matter where it's going. I only ship to CANADA and the U.S.A.

larry.bourget@sympatico.ca