Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Re: Show off your Pittsburgh Pirates items!

Quote Originally Posted by Shipp_96 View Post
    You know, I noticed your sign looked metal and thought that was intriguing. I only personally saw seats that were painted into the early 80's. By the late 80's-90's when I went, I actually was watching the game and not running to the upper deck , so I never saw Bags HR markers. I did some research, and found this list of players that hit them into the upper deck at Three Rivers:
    • 1: Willie Stargell - 8/9/70 off Mets' Ron Taylor (RF) 469'
    • 2: Willie Stargell - 5/30/71 off Cubs' Ken Holtzman (RF) 458'
    • 3: Willie Stargell - 6/20/71 off Expos' Howie Reed (RF) 472'
    • 4: Bob Robertson - 7/16/71 off Padres' Steve Arlin (LF) 456'
    • 5: Willie Stargell - 5/31/73 off Braves' Gary Gentry (RF) 468'
    • 6: Greg Luzinski - 4/18/79 off Pirates' Don Robinson (LF) 483'
    • 7: Bobby Bonilla - 7/12/87 off Padres' Eric Show (RF) 454'
    • 8: Howard Johnson - 4/15/91 off Pirates' Zane Smith (LF) 456'
    • 9: Jeff Bagwell - 5/5/91 off Pirates' Bob Kipper (LF) 472'
    • 10: Mark Whiten - 8/11/93 off Pirates' Blas Minor (RF) 464'
    • 11: Glenallen Hill - 5/6/94 off Pirates' Denny Neagle (LF) 457'
    • *: Frank Thomas - 7/11/94 in all star home run hitting contest (LCF) 519'
    • 12: Jeff Bagwell - 5/29/96 off Pirates' Danny Darwin (LF) 459'
    • 13: Devon White - 6/16/96 off Pirates' Denny Neagle (LF-facade) 456'
    I also was able to find this photo, (the only one I could find on the internet) of a painted seat. It is above the numbered facade, to the right and is painted black with a white number. Kind of hard to see, but you can notice it if you look hard enough:

My thoughts are maybe "Bags" hit the concrete facade, and they attached a metal marker up there instead, because it did not land in a seat. I know at the Vet in Philly, they installed a marker for "Pops" moon shot (top right):

It was fun looking this up, and taking a trip down memory lane!
    Thanks for all that info. I've had fun researching it as well. I wish I could have grown up in a city that had the amount of baseball history as Pittsburgh. I grew up in the suburbs of Seattle, so my first baseball memories were of the Kingdome - nothing to brag about.

I'll bet you're right about the concrete facade. I would love to find other pictures of the HR markers at Three Rivers. Now that the stadium is gone, I'm not sure where to look. Since you are a Pirates fan and are versed in this kind of stuff, where would you recommend that I look?

-Frik
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    Thanks for all that info. I've had fun researching it as well. I wish I could have grown up in a city that had the amount of baseball history as Pittsburgh. I grew up in the suburbs of Seattle, so my first baseball memories were of the Kingdome - nothing to brag about.

I'll bet you're right about the concrete facade. I would love to find other pictures of the HR markers at Three Rivers. Now that the stadium is gone, I'm not sure where to look. Since you are a Pirates fan and are versed in this kind of stuff, where would you recommend that I look?

-Frik
    Ironically, the closet stadium I now live near is Seattle's Safeco field, about 3 hours north from me! I will tell you, it was not easy finding the data I found on those HR markers. I looked at ALOT of old stadium sites and PA historical sites for information. Sadly, for a place that was around for 30 years, they sure did not document Three Rivers very well. I am just as guilty, because I guess you assume it will always be there. I wish I had saved my programs from my youth, but they have been long gone due to way too many moves. You might start there, with old programs and media guides. They may be of some use and I am sure fairly cheap.

I did, however, dig up some photos I took at games from my youth.

The first one is Rick Rhoden talking on the mound to Tony Pena, I would say 1983-especially judging by the clothes in the crowd!

The second is of a Steelers-Chiefs game in 1984, where Pittsburgh had a FG blocked for a TD, Kickoff and punt returns on them as well. Sad...

The third photo is of a much younger me before the 1992 NLCS vs ATL, and the Buccos did win that one!

The last shoot is actually awesome, because I had the wherewithal to take a photo of the outside of Three Rivers Stadium!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Just wanted to write that the FIRST PLACE PIRATES take on the Astros today! It just feels good to write that again, 14 years later!

Banned

Talking Re: Show off your Pittsburgh Pirates items!

Quote Originally Posted by Shipp_96 View Post
    Just wanted to write that the FIRST PLACE PIRATES take on the Astros today! It just feels good to write that again, 14 years later!
    Sincerely, I hope they make the playoffs...it's about time Pirates fans had something to feel good about.

Dave Miedema

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    Since you are a Pirates fan and are versed in this kind of stuff, where would you recommend that I look?

-Frik
    Hey Frik,

Well, I found out, unbeknownst to me, my Dad still had a saved a program from one of the games we attended in '86! I earlier showed picts of inside Three Rivers from that game below, against Philly. Sadly, they do not even talk about the HR markers-even then! I did however, find out a fact I never realized: Jason Thompson of the Buccos was only the 7th player in MLB history (then) to hit 100 or more HRs in each league. Wow, how times have changed .

Here is the cover:

@Chuck, awesome jerseys! I love the throwback 70s stripe one, lost an auction for one of those myself awhile back. Also miss the grey road stripes as well. Nice collection.

A shame the Buccos were on the wrong end of a miserable call last night in that 19 inning epic vs ATL.

I got ahold of this orange seatback from Three Rivers, with Jay Bell's Pittsburgh number, '3', on it, made a sort of collage, and got Jay to sign and inscribe it for me a few years ago.

No photo immediately available, but I've also got Jay's field jacket from the '94 season.

Thanks Shipp!

Man we got so screwed on that call last night. Let's take the next 2 off Atlanta then 2 of 3 from the Phils to make up for it!

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckFoPrez View Post
    Thanks Shipp!

Man we got so screwed on that call last night. Let's take the next 2 off Atlanta then 2 of 3 from the Phils to make up for it!
    Who wore that white pinstripe jersey of yours?