Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Re: Show off your Pittsburgh Pirates items!

Quote Originally Posted by LastingsMilledge85 View Post
    Who wore that white pinstripe jersey of yours?
    You're back, Lastings!!!! Howdy.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Hey Lastings,

It was a blank so there is no number. Actually, come to think of it, none of those jerseys have numbers on them. I may have to change that

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckFoPrez View Post
    Thanks Shipp!

Man we got so screwed on that call last night. Let's take the next 2 off Atlanta then 2 of 3 from the Phils to make up for it!
    Yeah, there are bad calls and there was that one. Sadly, the lose last night took some wind out of the Buccos sails, because they just lost 2-1 in the bottom of the 10th (only) tonight.

I do hope they can continue their magic against Filth-a-delphia.

Quote Originally Posted by godwulf View Post
    I got ahold of this orange seatback from Three Rivers, with Jay Bell's Pittsburgh number, '3', on it, made a sort of collage, and got Jay to sign and inscribe it for me a few years ago.

No photo immediately available, but I've also got Jay's field jacket from the '94 season.
    I loved me some Jay Bell back in the day. I was glad he finally got his ring with Arizona. I still remember when he won his gold glove and broke the Wizard's strangle hold on the award at short. Nice seat and shot of Three Rivers!

I was really happy to see the Buccos get a couple veteran bats, even if it were only marginal veteran players like Derrek Lee and Ryan Ludwick, for near nothing in return.

I know the critics will pan these moves (as I do to an extend on ownership's cheapness), but Lee is a MAJOR improvement from Overbay at first base and Ludwick will help solidify an outfield that already has studs like All Star Andrew McCutchen and Neil Walker.

At this point, ANY offense is a good offense for this team! I just fear too little to late, as it came after a rough Philly series.

Thank goodness the Cubs come to town, and I think a series sweep is realistic and can possibly propel them back into first by week's end!

Though the Buccos are reverting back to the Succos and are about to be back to a .500 team, against the lowly Cubs no less, I still have hope.

Just added this bad boy to my collection, fan favorite Jack Wilson BP jersey!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

A nice historical piece, Pirates Jason Schmidt game worn jersey from 1997. I just LOVE this style with the pinstripes and cursive Pittsburgh font!

So, long and short of it, not only does it have the Jackie Robinson patch, but this was the LAST YEAR anyone could wear #42 in the MLB, before they retired the number. Jason was one of the LAST players (defiantly the last Pirate) to wear this number, before he was forced to switch (to #22, as is).

Great jersey from a great player, and a nice guy to boot from when I met him years ago!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by Shipp_96 View Post
    A nice historical piece, Pirates Jason Schmidt game worn jersey from 1997. I just LOVE this style with the pinstripes and cursive Pittsburgh font!

So, long and short of it, not only does it have the Jackie Robinson patch, but this was the LAST YEAR anyone could wear #42 in the MLB, before they retired the number. Jason was one of the LAST players (defiantly the last Pirate) to wear this number, before he was forced to switch (to #22, as is).
    I thought players who were already wearing #42 could continue for the duration of their careers. Hence, Mariano Rivera. Where the Pirates different from other teams with regards to wearing Robinson's number?
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    I thought players who were already wearing #42 could continue for the duration of their careers. Hence, Mariano Rivera. Where the Pirates different from other teams with regards to wearing Robinson's number?
    I did some research, and found this out:

"When MLB decided to retire 42 in 1997, acting commissioner Bud Selig announced that to honor Jackie Robinson no player from now on will be issued the late Hall of Famer's number. However, the players who currently wear the number can keep it for the rest of their careers. The 12 major-league players wearing No. 42 as of Tuesday night:

Mo Vaughn, Boston
    Butch Huskey, New York Mets
    Tom Goodwin, Kansas City
    Mariano Rivera, New York Yankees
    Mike Jackson, Cleveland
    Lenny Webster, Baltimore
    Jason Schmidt, Pittsburgh
    Jose Lima, Houston
    Scott Karl, Milwaukee
    Dennis Cook, Florida
    Kirk Rueter, San Francisco
    x-Marc Sagmoen, Texas

x-Sagmoen, who made his major-league debut Tuesday night, was randomly assigned 42 by the Rangers when he joined the team. After the game, he announced he would switch to No. 37 because he did not feel ``worthy'' to wear 42.

Jason Schmidt was the last player on the Pirates to wear number 42, as all of Major League Baseball retired it for Jackie Robinson in 1997. Schmidt then switched to number 22 for the remainder of his stay with the team, and has worn number 29 after leaving the Pirates."

It does not really say he was forced to switch, or did it by his own volition. Still a nice historical Buccos piece to own .

Banned

Cool Re: Show off your Pittsburgh Pirates items!

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    The two Chicago teams had no regular season wearers of #42 in 1997. Roger McDowell wore #42 in spring training with the White Sox, but was cut, and the Cub that had #42, coach Dan Radison, voluntarily gave it up in favor of #3.

Dave Miedema