Larry,

While I think these insights are factual, they are my opinions. The hobby as I see it, is starting a new phase with 4 very distinct parts.

- Teams once either horded their game used or made deals with a Milt Byron or Murf Denny to allow fans the opportunity to obtain gamers at reasonable prices. Those days are long gone. Teams now suffer from delusions of grandeur, pricing jerseys well above what average fans can afford.

- Somehow the terms integrity and authenticity now come with price tag. Some folks point to eBay and all of the dealers and con men that still exist. They'll say the premium increase is worth it for the piece of mind. I say they are only using euphemistic language to price gouge and profiteer by praying on fear.

- Collectors once knew their items would retain value. Buying a jersey this season came with the knowledge you could sell it for the same price and in most cases for more money, 2 years later. With the exception of one of my jerseys, I'd lose money on every item I have if I sold them today. I'd argue many of us on this board are in a very similar boat.

- I think this hobby will follow the early 90's baseball card fad. Just like 50's Topps still hold value, so too would jerseys from before 2000. I wonder whether the overinflated price bubble on modern material will pop and allow average fans the opportunity to finally obtain their favorite players jersey? The hobby would then return to a rational price structure for average fans and buying a jersey for $300 today could actually be resold next year for more than $100.