Quote Originally Posted by Shipp_96 View Post
You know, I noticed your sign looked metal and thought that was intriguing. I only personally saw seats that were painted into the early 80's. By the late 80's-90's when I went, I actually was watching the game and not running to the upper deck , so I never saw Bags HR markers. I did some research, and found this list of players that hit them into the upper deck at Three Rivers:
  • 1: Willie Stargell - 8/9/70 off Mets' Ron Taylor (RF) 469'
  • 2: Willie Stargell - 5/30/71 off Cubs' Ken Holtzman (RF) 458'
  • 3: Willie Stargell - 6/20/71 off Expos' Howie Reed (RF) 472'
  • 4: Bob Robertson - 7/16/71 off Padres' Steve Arlin (LF) 456'
  • 5: Willie Stargell - 5/31/73 off Braves' Gary Gentry (RF) 468'
  • 6: Greg Luzinski - 4/18/79 off Pirates' Don Robinson (LF) 483'
  • 7: Bobby Bonilla - 7/12/87 off Padres' Eric Show (RF) 454'
  • 8: Howard Johnson - 4/15/91 off Pirates' Zane Smith (LF) 456'
  • 9: Jeff Bagwell - 5/5/91 off Pirates' Bob Kipper (LF) 472'
  • 10: Mark Whiten - 8/11/93 off Pirates' Blas Minor (RF) 464'
  • 11: Glenallen Hill - 5/6/94 off Pirates' Denny Neagle (LF) 457'
  • *: Frank Thomas - 7/11/94 in all star home run hitting contest (LCF) 519'
  • 12: Jeff Bagwell - 5/29/96 off Pirates' Danny Darwin (LF) 459'
  • 13: Devon White - 6/16/96 off Pirates' Denny Neagle (LF-facade) 456'
I also was able to find this photo, (the only one I could find on the internet) of a painted seat. It is above the numbered facade, to the right and is painted black with a white number. Kind of hard to see, but you can notice it if you look hard enough:

My thoughts are maybe "Bags" hit the concrete facade, and they attached a metal marker up there instead, because it did not land in a seat. I know at the Vet in Philly, they installed a marker for "Pops" moon shot (top right):

It was fun looking this up, and taking a trip down memory lane!
Thanks for all that info. I've had fun researching it as well. I wish I could have grown up in a city that had the amount of baseball history as Pittsburgh. I grew up in the suburbs of Seattle, so my first baseball memories were of the Kingdome - nothing to brag about.

I'll bet you're right about the concrete facade. I would love to find other pictures of the HR markers at Three Rivers. Now that the stadium is gone, I'm not sure where to look. Since you are a Pirates fan and are versed in this kind of stuff, where would you recommend that I look?

-Frik