Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

New to the Forum and Need Help with this Johnny Bench Bat

Hi, I am new the forum and was hoping for identification and/or valuation of this Johnny Bench Bat. It is a Louisville Slugger "Powerized" Genuine R43 model. After reading many posts on this forum and elsewhere I am more confused than before. I have read the the "Powerized" means it is a professional mode, but the "JB2" on the knob should mean it is a store model. Also, the model number is supposed to mean something on the barrel. I got it on the cheap, and my expectations are low.

Thanks,
    Chris

Re: New to the Forum and Need Help with this Johnny Bench Bat

Hi--Welcome to the forum. In response to your question, the JB2 on the knob overrides all else and distinguishes this bat as a store, or retail, bat and NOT a professional model bat. For an easy-to-use primer on the labeling of game used bats (Louisville Slugger and Rawlings/Adirondack) check out Jeff Scott's excellent website here

http://webpages.charter.net/birdbats...g%20Gamers.htm

Good Luck in future collecting.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

Banned

Exclamation Re: New to the Forum and Need Help with this Johnny Bench Bat

Also, the barrel branding (with model number, player name, etc.) is larger on a pro bat than it is on this one.

Dave Miedema

Dave & others...

What about the trademark circle after the stamped on signature? Is that something that you only see on store model bats or is it present with anyone who has their signature trademarked?

wade

Thanks for all the help. I thought the font did look a little small when I compared to the one professional model bat I have. And thanks for the link to the primer. That will definitely come in handy when I attend auctions.

Wade:

Registration trademarks are seen on both professional model and retail model H & B bats. Relative to this specific bat, Johnny Bench's name was filed as a registered trademark on 2/17/1976, and registered on 11/2/1976. Other player's whose names have been registered include Pete Rose, Jim Rice, Dave Parker, and others. Also registered are the term "Powerizeed," the designation "125," various popular models such as K55, R17, S2, M110, and others.

Additional information and research on various registration filings can be found in a Dave Grob article in the MEARS News Archive dated 4/4/2009

Mike jackitout7@aol.com

I believe that guu member gorilla777 has several bench bats. He would be a great contact to get info from.

Quote Originally Posted by justinbittner220 View Post
    I believe that guu member gorilla777 has several bench bats. He would be a great contact to get info from.
    Hi,

I apologize but I just saw this post. Yes, I am a Johnny Bench bat collector so feel free to contact me with any questions. I would be happy to help or at least steer you in the right direction.
    email is bent_714 at yahoo dot com

Best regards,

Ben