Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

All-Star Fan Fest

I have tickets for the Fan Fest here in Phoenix next Friday and Saturday, and I'm curious about what I'm likely to see and experience there. I've heard that it is MLB putting it on, so presumably it will be similar to the ones that have come before. I'm epecially interested in how they normally have the autograph situation set up.

Re: All-Star Fan Fest

Quote Originally Posted by godwulf View Post
    I have tickets for the Fan Fest here in Phoenix next Friday and Saturday, and I'm curious about what I'm likely to see and experience there. I've heard that it is MLB putting it on, so presumably it will be similar to the ones that have come before. I'm epecially interested in how they normally have the autograph situation set up.
    When's the first day of FanFest?
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Friday is the first day. I purposely bought my fanfest tix for Monday cause I figured that MLB players would be there in attendance in the morning that day. That is gonna be a LOOOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGGG weekend with the futures game and celebrity softball then the workouts and HR derby topped off with the red carpet and all star game. I can't wait!!!

I too went with the Monday fan fest because I didn't want to miss any of the other events. Maybe not the best idea since it will likely be super crowded when nothing else is going on.

In the whole suite of things going on, the fanfest is low on my list and I may just skip it all together if better "offers" come up.

Can't wait and just hope I don't get fried out there.....

I have some All-star Fanfest experience (San Francisco) and therefore can offer some insight.

The environment itself is fun, especially for kids. They have batting cages, miniature playing fields and all kinds of interesting products. I think Cal Ripken was there pitching some kind of academy or something.

As for autographs, that can be problematic, as it always is. My grand-son and I hung out at a venue for Giants great JT Snow and got the brush-off when he came out. Very disillusioning. But maybe that's just him. Still, such things are tightly controlled by security.

Anyway, I am glad you are going and would love a follow-up report. I guess my best advice would be to think of it as a once-in-a-lifetime experience with your family. Whatever else happens will be a bonus.

Enjoy!!!

Dave Silverbrand
    Always buying more hair and unclogged arteries

I just scored 2 seats right behind the Dbacks dugout for Sunday!!! Can't wait!

That's really sad about the Fanfest and the bats. Those MLB control-freak SOB's!!! I'll bet the house that the players would have no problem signing such stuff.

It happened to me once with Dave Winfield. His handlers were jerks. He was great.

Sorry you have to go through that. Tough to explain this to a kid, too. I had to do the same thing with my grand-son. What's the matter with these blowfish?

Dave Silverbrand

I have fanfest tix for Sunday and doubt that I will use all four. Maybe have two extras if anyone is in need.

At one point yesterday, I told someone that I was standing in line next to, "There are two ways of doing these things - get autographs, or relax and enjoy yourself."

Well, as usual, just like I do every year at the Diamondbacks Fan Fest, I went the first route. Spent from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. standing in one line or another. Tough on old, out-of-shape legs and bad hips. But I got baseballs signed by six former DBacks - Greg Swindell, Kelly Stinnett, Jay Bell, Reggie Sanders, Mike Fetters and Damion Easley. I had most of those guys on a ball already, but I'll make my sister a gift of these.

Also met five of the original AAGPBL players - those elderly ladies are some kind of sharp. And nice, as well. Seemed to love to talk with people. One of them asked me if I'd ever been out to one of their games; I said, "I was born in 1954", and she said, "Oh, that's when we stopped playing." There were also a couple of players from the Team U.S.A. women's baseball (not softball) team, which I'll have to admit I did not know existed.

The HOF Museum display was kind of small-ish, but there were some nice items. There was a separate display elsewhere of historic Diamondbacks stuff, like the bat and ball from Gonzo's WS-winning hit in '01. Some good educational displays on the Negro Leagues and women in Baseball.

After the autograph lines, I spent another three hours just wandering around pretty aimlessly, shopping, picking up weird freebies here and there, occasionally refreshing myself with a free sample from the Pepsi Max booth (that stuff is highly addictive - I think they put heroin in it.)

Talked to a young fellow - I didn't catch his name - with Louisville Slugger, and of course he knew Brian. Said he'd seen BMH at the office a few days ago, and seemed to be doing well.

At one point, I was in line ahead of some clown on a cellphone, telling someone, "Yeah, this place is really small, and there's nobody here. Not like New York!" He went on and on, criticizing everything about the event, and comparing it to "New York". At which point, I began to understand the ban on bats a little more.

Going back today, but only three autos to get, so I plan to spend a lot more time reading and studying the displays, and maybe doing a little more shopping.

Well, I didn't stand in line for 6 1/2 hours today, like yesterday. I stood in line for about 9 1/2 hours, instead. My mistake was in getting into the "hourly free pin" line first thing, and then it became like a competition to see if I could make it back at the top of each hour in time to collect all 7 pins. (I got 6.) I don't know why I did it - I'm not really even a pin collector. Call it temporary Fan Fest madness, I guess.

I also stood in lines for David Dellucci, Steve Finley (an hour-and-a-half just for that one) and the last AAGPBL signature I needed. Stood in line for a free All-Star golf towel. Stood in line for a free taco. I was like some housewife in the old Soviet Union - just getting into any line 'cause whatever was at the other end was something you didn't have. My legs, back and feet are just gone at this point. I'm now going to sleep very soundly for at least 12 hours. And no doubt dream about standing in line.