Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tedw9
    • Jul 2007

My dealings with Steiner today

Generally, I've had pretty good luck with Steiner and purchasing from them. But today's dealings left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

I purchased a NY Mets game used hat from one of their recent emails. I really wanted this hat and have anxiously waited almost 2 weeks for it to ship from NY to Maine.

Today my hat arrived and they sent me a RETAIL hat. So I contact one of the good reps, who refers me to another rep. I explain what happened, give him the order number and he goes away for a minute. He comes back and basically tells me that he sees they couldn't find it, so they replaced the GAME USED hat with a RETAIL hat that was the same size. And I could keep it and he would knock a few bucks off or I can send it back. He says he can't find the hat either. I find it hard to believe he went to the warehouse, looked, and got back on the phone that quickly.

I ordered a GAME USED hat, why in the world would I want a RETAIL hat in replacement? Why would someone think it's ok to just send a retail hat?

Like I said, overall, I've had good experiences, but this one stunk. Sure, it was a small amount of money, but I do make other purchases through them. This will make me think twice before I just quickly purchase and item or recommend them to any of my collecting friends.
  • Skizzick
    • Mar 2011

Re: My dealings with Steiner today

Welcome to the club, man. Steiner has screwed so many people over.

Comment

• BULBUS
      • Nov 2005

They have too many deals like this. I'm sure the hat you ordered went to someone else.
      Chris

NY Giants, NY Yankees, Don Mattingly, Mattingly brand bats (any player)
      sigpic
      donnie23fan at yahoo.com

Comment

• michaelpbell

Hey Ted,

I have a contact at Steiner that I told about your issue and he is very concerned. Do you mind if I get your name and phone number and pass it along to him so he can call you??? My email is michaelpbell@msn.com

Comment

• momen55
          • Aug 2006

why does everyone continue to buy from these companies? yes they have a monopoly on everything but it is all overpriced stuff of modern players. avoid the headaches and don't buy.
          they have plenty of stuff i would like but not for the money they are asking. they can keep their stuff and i save my money.
          these comapnies know that someone is paying the price they ask so they keep doing it. am i the only one that thinks this way?

Comment

• HawaiiSportsNut
            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by momen55
            why does everyone continue to buy from these companies? yes they have a monopoly on everything but it is all overpriced stuff of modern players. avoid the headaches and don't buy.
            they have plenty of stuff i would like but not for the money they are asking. they can keep their stuff and i save my money.
            these comapnies know that someone is paying the price they ask so they keep doing it. am i the only one that thinks this way?
            I agree with you 100%... They do have lots of stuff that I want as well. Steiner is way over priced. I get all of my game used stuff from the members here or on eBay.
            sigpic

Comment

• tbone90
              • Nov 2008

Not to go against the grain but every situation can be different or unique. Now admittedly I have not bought many items from Steiner directly. I prefer to spread my limited hobby splurging funds around to help stimulate the ecomony . But just recently I had an excellent experience with Steiner. There was a particular player that I had been looking for a game used bat of with little luck for quite some time. Then one day I received a call from a gentleman at Steiner. He was getting some bats in and wanted to know if I was still looking and interested. He gave me as much detail as he could and even looked up the MLB holograms and read them to me. In the end I bought two bats and for a price that I was very happy with and glad to pay. The bats arrived about a week later without incident.

Even if the price was a little more than I was wanting or expecting to pay i still would have made the purchase. Sometimes the chase just gets the best of me. It all seems to even out in the wash with the items I've gotten good deals on and the others that I may have paid a bit of a premium for.

I am very sorry though to hear about when any of us on the forum have a bad buying experience. While it's an ugly situation now hopefully Steiner will make it right.

Comment

• MLB~NUT
                • Feb 2011

WOW, Yeah I wouldn't blame you for felling discruntled....

Comment

• sox83cubs84
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2009

Originally posted by HawaiiSportsNut
                  I agree with you 100%... They do have lots of stuff that I want as well. Steiner is way over priced. I get all of my game used stuff from the members here or on eBay.
                  Of course, sometimes you can end up getting both. Almost any visit to eBay will show at least a few items from companies with direct connections to teams/athletes that the current owners end up auctioning knowing that they will take a loss.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• Tedw9
                    • Jul 2007

Well, the UPS lady just left with the hat. I showed her that it was in the box before handing it over and she gave me a receipt.

Some have asked why deal with them when the prices are so high. Well, sometimes you can find a deal, which I do now and then. Your idea of a deal and mine may be two different things. I don't buy a ton from them, but I do spend now and then when I find something I want at a price I think is fair.

michaelpbell, thank you for your offer to help. I dropped you an email with all my information.

I will keep this thread updated when/if anything else comes of this. Thank you to all that have replied so far, I do appreciate it.

Comment

• gnishiyama
                      • Aug 2006

Steiner is way over priced. I get all of my game used stuff from the members here or on eBay.
                      The constant bashing of Steiner's pricing is tiring and borderline slander.
                      Its clear that Steiner caters towards those who want high quality items
                      and a peace of mind. Not everybody wants to go on these forums and
                      ask questions and do research or go on Ebay and try and get a steal from
                      an unknown dealer. Many people work hard or are just wealthy and
                      want the best for their money and don't want to deal with the BS.
                      And I am not saying that Steiner never has and never will make errors
                      in the authenticity of their product so please don't go there.

This is all coming from a full-time sports memorabilia dealer. I sell sports
                      memorabilia for a living out of my apartment and I can tell you my business
                      overhead is higher than many of you may think. Do I price it into my items? ..absolutely. Have any of you guys been to Steiner's office? I've been to
                      their old office once and I can't even imagine with all that space, inventory
                      and employees how much their overhead is.

You can't compare Steiner's pricing with Mr. Selling Part of My Collection
                      or Mr. I Got This for Free and Now Want to Sell, etc on Ebay who probably
                      has another full-time job and has no overheard except for the Ebay fees
                      and perhaps a little bit of his time and effort.

I say slander because someone new to the hobby may come across this
                      post and see "overpriced" and automatically think Steiner rips people off.
                      Steiner did not get this far ripping people off. Believe that.

Now for the OP, its an unfortunate and unacceptable situation by
                      any means and hope it gets resolved. I'm just venting towards the
                      people who constantly chirp and cry about pricing. I just wonder if
                      they cry about prices of Lexus, BMW or Rolex or anything else top
                      of the line because like it or not Steiner is top of the line in the memorabilia
                      industry. Its usually the ones who can't afford it that are constantly
                      crying. Again I will follow up by saying I can't afford to keep most of the
                      stuff I sell but that does not mean I am ripping people off. It just means
                      not everything is for everybody.

By the way I am not affiliated with Steiner in any way, shape or form.

Thanks for your time.

Goh Nishiyama
                      Goh Nishiyama

Always buying Japanese Game Used Memorablia

gnishiyama@gmail.com

Comment

• sportscentury
                        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by gnishiyama
                        The constant bashing of Steiner's pricing is tiring and borderline slander.
                        Its clear that Steiner caters towards those who want high quality items
                        and a peace of mind. Not everybody wants to go on these forums and
                        ask questions and do research or go on Ebay and try and get a steal from
                        an unknown dealer. Many people work hard or are just wealthy and
                        want the best for their money and don't want to deal with the BS.
                        And I am not saying that Steiner never has and never will make errors
                        in the authenticity of their product so please don't go there.

This is all coming from a full-time sports memorabilia dealer. I sell sports
                        memorabilia for a living out of my apartment and I can tell you my business
                        overhead is higher than many of you may think. Do I price it into my items? ..absolutely. Have any of you guys been to Steiner's office? I've been to
                        their old office once and I can't even imagine with all that space, inventory
                        and employees how much their overhead is.

You can't compare Steiner's pricing with Mr. Selling Part of My Collection
                        or Mr. I Got This for Free and Now Want to Sell, etc on Ebay who probably
                        has another full-time job and has no overheard except for the Ebay fees
                        and perhaps a little bit of his time and effort.

I say slander because someone new to the hobby may come across this
                        post and see "overpriced" and automatically think Steiner rips people off.
                        Steiner did not get this far ripping people off. Believe that.

Now for the OP, its an unfortunate and unacceptable situation by
                        any means and hope it gets resolved. I'm just venting towards the
                        people who constantly chirp and cry about pricing. I just wonder if
                        they cry about prices of Lexus, BMW or Rolex or anything else top
                        of the line because like it or not Steiner is top of the line in the memorabilia
                        industry. Its usually the ones who can't afford it that are constantly
                        crying. Again I will follow up by saying I can't afford to keep most of the
                        stuff I sell but that does not mean I am ripping people off. It just means
                        not everything is for everybody.

By the way I am not affiliated with Steiner in any way, shape or form.

Thanks for your time.

Goh Nishiyama
                        I'm sorry, but all I got out of this is that you don't know what slander means.
                        Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Comment

• gnishiyama
                          • Aug 2006

Sorry Reid I'm not a lawyer. I'll replace "slander" with "misleading."

I was just talking about how every time a poster talks about
                          a legitimate gripe with Steiner people use the thread as a platform
                          to gripe about their pricing which is irrelevant. I guess I'm just as
                          guilty...

Anyway OP sorry and hope you're situation gets resolved. I'm sure
                          someone at Steiner has already read your post is doing something
                          to take care of it.

Goh Nishiyama
                          Goh Nishiyama

Always buying Japanese Game Used Memorablia

gnishiyama@gmail.com

Comment

• Skizzick
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by gnishiyama
                            Sorry Reid I'm not a lawyer. I'll replace "slander" with "misleading."

I was just talking about how every time a poster talks about
                            a legitimate gripe with Steiner people use the thread as a platform
                            to gripe about their pricing which is irrelevant. I guess I'm just as
                            guilty...

Anyway OP sorry and hope you're situation gets resolved. I'm sure
                            someone at Steiner has already read your post is doing something
                            to take care of it.

Goh Nishiyama
                            While I will state my opinion and say that they are overpriced for the real market value of their items, that is Steiner's choice to do so, and the people that choose to pay those prices for Steiner's items do so out of their own obliviousness.
                            My issue with Steiner is that their customer service only goes as far as to make sure things don't end up in small claims court, and nothing else. They care nothing about customer loyalty, and the only time you can actually get to someone who will take care of your problems is when they are a distributor within the company who is working on commission. If they royally screw up on your order, pull a bait-and-switch, or some other dishonest tactic, their only reaction to your problem is to hand you your money back and say "have a nice day" or try to make you pay a lower price for the item they tricked you into receiving. I have dealt with Steiner on a number of occasions and really only left satisfied once. Whereas, I have dealt with many other companies in memorabilia sales and related services, and every problem has been dealt with customer service that went above and beyond what was needed.
                            As someone who has worked in retail for eight years, the key is to build a good reputation by helping customers who are not satisfied. That way, they'll keep coming back and WON'T TRASH COMPANIES ON MESSAGE BOARDS!

Comment

• emann
                              • Nov 2008

I also expect that Steiner will resolve this issue for Tedw9... I do own numerous Steiner items and would like them to not piss people off if only for the selfish reason of not totally devaluing items I own with their company name attached as other GU companies have done.

I also think it's ridiculous of Steiner to have sent a retail hat in lieu of a gamer unless it was with a note that read: "We're sorry but we sold you something we don't appear to have in stock anymore, accept this with our apologies. Thanks for shopping with Steiner." Were they hoping he wouldn't notice the switch? That's what I would assume OR that by offering him a discount on keeping the retail hat they're just trying to squeeze whatever sale they can out of him, even if it is an item he doesn't want.

I have my own issue with Steiner and it is actually not relating to their prices (which are all over the place to me, some crazy money high, some lower than I'd expect). They're one of the only retail sites on the web I can think of that forces you to enter your email address to enter it and see items for sale. It's not a common thing on the web for a reason, it alienates buyers who don't want to just hand over things like personal email address to view an on-line catalog. As someone who works in a field were marketing comes into play, whoever at Steiner that thought this was a good idea... it's really not.

Comment

Working...