Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thread: tire kickers

Hybrid View

Re: tire kickers

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    My own "favorite": placing an item for sale on C2C, making mention (as I normally do) to have no means of sending pictures (I do not have a camera), and getting replies asking me "can you send pictures?" If I could post them, I would.

If not seeing pictures in advance is a deal-breaker, then that's OK. I wouldn't
    make specific mention of not being able to send pics in the description if I could send some...HELLO?

One guy a few years ago asked me for pics three times, apparently expecting that my answer would be different the third time than it was the first or second time.

Again, if a buyer wants pictures before buying, and I am unable to provide nthem, no harm done...if that's their motus operandi, they're entitled to buy in the most comfortable way they choose. But, please...DON't ask for pictures when the last couple of lines in my post say that I am unable to send them!

Dave Miedema
    While I definitely see what you're saying, cheap digital cameras can be bought for under $40. I've found there to be an expectation that everyone can provide pictures - or knows someone who will take them for him. Plus, some only skim the Classifieds section. So I am not surprised that someone asked three times for you to provide pictures. He probably thought that you could just have someone in your family or a good friend snap a few photos for you, if he asked another time.

-Frik
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

While I definitely see what you're saying, cheap digital cameras can be bought for under $40.
    I remember when half the eBay auctions didn't include pics. Gotta have pics if you want to get a decent price. Especially if you're selling signed items, when players often have multiple versions of their signature.

For those who are insulted by “low ball offers”, I have to ask why you accept are using the best offer feature on eBay? Just let the auction run its course or set a buy-it-now price?

I recently was watching a bat on eBay that started out with a $3400 or best offer price. This bat was way overpriced, but it was a bat that I wanted it with not too many on the market so I offered $1000 for it.

Well this offer set the seller off; we went back and forth a few times, personal attacks, vulgar language… Anyway I did not buy the bat, but kept an eye on it. Slowly over a period of 6-8 weeks the bat went to a buy-it-now price of $ 2800, $2400, $1800, $1600, $1400, and then back up to $1600 with a best offer option.

I ended up making a deal with the seller, using my wife’s eBay account and bought the bat for $1150. I would have been willing to buy the bat for more than my first offer of $1000, and I would have paid more than $1150, but by being patient I feel I got the bat for a good, fair price. Mike Specht was kind enough to complete a record check through his certification service and I am very happy with it.

For all of the tire kickers out there, there are just as many crazy sellers who are way out of touch with the market.

Just take a look at this thread, where I am considered a low-baller, by the same person who started this current thread.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=22050&page=2&highlight=ruben+sier ra+bat

I remember at the time, Sierra bats were going for the price I offered. With the market now, I am glad he didn’t accept my price!

Russell Mansfield
    batdna@sbcglobal.net