Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Super Bowl Wilson Footballs.....

Hi.....i Need Some Assistance On Super Bowl Branded Game Balls From Wilson......i Believe That Wilson Began Putting The Super Bowl Logo On The Footballs For Super Bowl Xx In 1985-86........if Anyone Has Any Info On What Else Was On Those Game Balls, Would Be Appreciated. Did They Put The Team Names On The Games Balls, Or Just "afc Vs Nfc"? Thanks......tony

Re: Super Bowl Wilson Footballs.....

SB XX was the first, team names were on it.

I actually have one from 85-86. It also has "/1000" on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jags Fan Dan View Post
    I actually have one from 85-86. It also has "/1000" on it.
    That could be one made in New Orleans during ther buildup to the game. I have one from Hall of Fame weekend 2000 #'d to 100 that was made in a booth that weekend.

I'm still learning, but here's what I've observed. Sometimes they'll make balls without team names to get a head start on production before the teams are known. Then they switch to team names. "Game balls" continue to be made for months or years after the game. Some of these include the final score.

Tons of balls in Wilson's catalog. I haven't seen one of the new balls from SB V through X. Curious how close they are to the originals. Hopefully not too close.
    http://www.wilson.com/en-us/football...?filters=58060

So....we can say without any uncertainty that when the ball was in play in Super Bowl XX back in January 1986, that the names of the teams were on the ball? Not Afc vs Nfc?

Also, what does it mean when it says "BLEM" on the football?

Banned

Lightbulb Re: Super Bowl Wilson Footballs.....

Quote Originally Posted by miracleonice80 View Post
    Also, what does it mean when it says "BLEM" on the football?
    That's likely a notation indicating "blemished"...a professional issued ball that, due to minor defects, was deemed unfit for actual game play. Rawlings has sometimes stamped NL/AL/MLB baseballs with that notation if they're slightly short of game quality. In baseball, though, Blem balls have sometimes found their way into batting practice usage.

Dave Miedema

Agreed. My understanding is that Wilson stamps "BLEM" on balls at the factory that fail the final quality check, usually for mild cosmetic defects such as indistinct stampings, chipped foil (for 1993-present balls), or discolorations in the leather. They're structurally sound balls, but they're not distributed to NFL teams (at least for game use). I have seen them sold in bulk to rec and semipro teams, though.

I have a good number of vintage 1960's and '70's NFL and AFL footballs.....I am wondering which football I should get for the current look of the NFL game ball. Do I just go out to a sporting goods store and get a Wilson Authentic game ball off the shelf? Or, do I try to get a game used football form this time period? Any thoughts? F1100 is the number to look for, right? Or is that the retail number?