Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

American Memorabilia - Solicitation Practices

What do forum members think of American Memorabilia's practice of solicting items for their auctions by contacting sellers about the items that are in the sellers' live eBay auctions? In the past, I was contacted many times by AMI regarding items in my ongoing eBay auctions. Here is a recent example of what I'm talking about (note: Tony AMI is Tony Giese from American Memorabilia):

http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...lerQuestion_VI

I'm trying to picture Keith Vari (from Lelands), Brian Marren (from Mastro), or Robert Lifson (from Robert Edward Auctions) engaging in this practice ... somehow I'm having difficulty imagining this. Call me nuts, but I don't think this is exactly what eBay had in mind when they set up the "Contact Member" mail system. Though I admit that it is nice to be reminded of the class and ethics by which AMI operates.

As always, I welcome the commentary of war hero James A. Rast or any of AMI's other fraudulent representatives to provide comment.

Reid

P.S. Being that this is a very high end Clemens jersey (one of the finest I've seen), I can't help but wonder how often this kind of solicitation has led to high end auctions being ended early. I guess there is only one entity that knows for sure.
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Banned

Re: American Memorabilia - Solicitation Practices

Nothing wrong with it at all its just business!!!

Its not like he asked you to close your auction now and consign to them he just merely stated if it doesnt sell through ebay to consider them. From what he wrote he was polite and not arrogant about it.

This is how business works you can't wait for it to come to you, you have to go out there and get it!!!! and thats just what TonyAMI did.

Quote Originally Posted by sportscentury View Post
    Call me nuts, but I don't think this is exactly what eBay had in mind when they set up the "Contact Member" mail system. Though I admit that it is nice to be reminded of the class and ethics by which AMI operates.

As always, I welcome the commentary of war hero James A. Rast or any of AMI's other fraudulent representatives to provide comment.

Reid
    Reid - You are correct. That question to the seller is a serious violation of eBay rules:

Offers to Buy or Sell Outside of eBay

Offers to buy or sell listed items outside of the eBay site are not permitted. Offers of this nature are a potential fraud risk for both buyers and sellers and circumvent eBay's fees.
    Some examples of offers outside of the eBay site include:
    • Using member contact information obtained from eBay or using any eBay system to offer to sell any listed item outside of eBay
    • Sending unsolicited (without prior permission) commercial email offers to bidders for the same or similar products that they have bid on in the past
    Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions, including:
    • Listing cancellation
    • Limits on account privileges
    • Account suspension
    • Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings
    • Loss of PowerSeller status

Coaches Corner did a similar thing with me a few years back (not sure if they still continue this practice).

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477 View Post
    Nothing wrong with it at all its just business!!!

Its not like he asked you to close your auction now and consign to them he just merely stated if it doesnt sell through ebay to consider them. From what he wrote he was polite and not arrogant about it.

This is how business works you can't wait for it to come to you, you have to go out there and get it!!!! and thats just what TonyAMI did.
    Jason,

I am not at all surprised by your perspective on this rule-violating business practice. In fact, it is entirely consistent with my other observations. Please notice how I did not list Jason Edelman (from GameUsedDirect.com) among the likes of Vari/Lelands, Marren/Mastro, and Lifson/REA. You see, Jason, there are two kinds of business ethics...

As a side note, please do let me know when I can catch your next guest lecture at Wharton.

Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Banned

Reid I do take offense to your comments regarding me. I never said these particulary practices were my own I just said I didn't feel they were so bad. I hate to be the one who tells you this but solicitation is the key to success in sales. You are really turning a mole hill into a mountain.

Let me give you some examples:
    Have you ever gotten a phone call about you buying a newspaper, phone service, travel plans?? These are solicitations
    Have you ever received a flyer in the mail from your local supermarket about sales, electronic stores or other company?? These are solicitations
    How about a CD in the mail from aol for a 1000 hours of internet?? Thats a solicitation also!!!

As far as violating ebays rules yes thats wrong, but as far as soliciting thats just business.

But your right I guess we should take a class from you about business over Fortune 500 companies, What do they know???

Offers to buy and sell outside of Ebay is against Ebay's rules, but I believe AMI did not violate this policy. He asked you to consider him IF the jersey does NOT sell in the end, meaning that Ebay would be out of the picture. If he asked for the item to be sold right then outside of Ebay, then it is a violation.

I actually have to defend Tony on this. We have communicated through ebay many times in the past which has never led me to end an item early and he did say "if your item doesn't sell". Reid does know my current frustration with AMI about calling and not getting an answer about a jersey I consigned. I've received a few offers on the jersey and it may sell as early as tomorrow. I also received emails from buyers asking "what is the lowest you will take?". I always want to email back "what is the highest you want to pay?"

Best Regards,

Nate

Interesting feedback from everyone (some of it a bit more than interesting). I appreciate everyone's responses.

Nate, I was not going to bring up the other issue of AMI blowing you off after you consigned your jersey to them. If you look at some older GUF threads, you'll see that this is just the tip of the iceberg. Good luck with it and let me how it goes.

Jessica, welcome to the forum! I appreciate your response. However, I am confident that eBay would strongly disagree with your interpretation of their rules. Andrew's post hit the mark.

Cheers,
    Reid

Banned

Sportscentury heres what I dont understand you post here to get our opinions and yet you dont like some of our opinions, if you feel that what was done was wrong as you mentioned about "Andrew hitting the mark". You already have your mind made up then why are you positing here take your gripe up with ebay and AMI.