Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

BMH Aparicio 60-64 bat

I'm hoping Brian can chime in on this. I won a Luis Aparicio game used bat in Mears auction last week. The label they said was from 60-60 period and the model number S44 shows from 1969. Was wondering why that is or my concern is it an actual game used bat since the label and model numbers aren't the same. According to Mears they said they have seen that before. Any thoughts. Thanks

Re: BMH Aparicio 60-64 bat

Here's the link:

http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.co...px?lotid=39292

"Dating 1968-69: The center brand manufacturing dates this bat to the 1965-68 era. The "General Dating" is consistent with the 1960-64 timespan as most commonly found. Examination of Aparicio's personal bat records indicate that during 1969 he first used the S44 model measuring 35" and weighs 32 ounces. Examples of the 1960-64 center brand could be expected to have been carried over to a 1969 record. This has become a more documented practice. "

If I'm reading MEARS description of this bat correctly, they are saying the 1961-64 centerbrand was also used in 1968-69. WOW, if that's true, that's huge news. Pretty much calls into question half the bats in my collection!

My guess, and I know far less than the folks at MEARS, is that it's a pro stock from 1961-64. S44 was Aparicio's pro stock model.

The real possibility / probability that it is a team index bat is noted in the (revised) title and description.

Mike jackitout7@aol.com

Mike (and everybody),
    I'm still confused as to what MEARS is saying. According to Vince Malta's book, Aparicio never ordered 35" S44 bats until 1969. This bat has a 1961-64 centerbrand. So, is the MEARS theory that the bat was made in the 61-64 timeframe, a team index/Pro Stock, that they kept at their factory and sent to him 5 years later, when he finally decided to order that size/model?

Or are they saying they made a bat in 1969 using the 61-64 centerbrand?

They seem to be trying to put things together that don't fit. I'll assume for a moment a bat with 61-64 centerbrand was, in fact, made at that time. Since it was a size (35") that Aparicio wasn't ordering, it would've likely been a team index bat. Here's what's fun... Aparicio was with Chicago through 1962, but then played for Baltimore until 1968.
    Yet the MEARS listing is adament he used it in 1969 with the White Sox.

So, what's more likely. 1.) The bat was a team index for the Sox, made in 61-62, that bounced around the batrack for 7 years until Luis rejoined the team and started using it in 1969, or 2.) The bat was made in 63-64, a team index for Baltimore, and when they traded him back to Chicago before the 1968 season they said "We've got this bat that's a size/model you don't use, and it's been sitting here for 4 years. Why don't you take it with you..."

Or possibility #3, it's a team index or Pro Stock, used when it was made, prior to 1965, by some unknown players, at the major or minor league level.

Thoughts?

Nice post Mark17. It is puzzling to me also. There description is all over the place. I don't have the bat or LOA yet as Mears was at the National and maybe got delayed on getting things out. Not sure. When I bid on it I put one bid in to lock my bid in on it and ended up winning it which I didn't expect. I was thinking it was a real game used bat and would have gone for alot more but after i won it then i started thinking maybe team index bat. Ive only been collecting bats for about a year so not to experienced but know a little and still learning. I'm not into team index bats so might end up selling it when I get it or consign it back to them since they are the ones that first listed it.

Mark--- that would be door Number Three.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by MSpecht View Post
    Mark--- that would be door Number Three.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com
    LOL! Figured. Thanks, Mike.