Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What's your favorite "common" jersey in your collection?

I just got this baby today, and it's going to look nice on my wall! Ok, so many of you will not get too excited about a common 1984 Seattle Mariners jersey. But I think this is a real looker, especially in person. Vibrant colors, great embroidery, and a classic style (this came from a private collection, not the now-famous Mariners team find).

It's fun doing a little research on the things you own. This jersey is tagged set 1 for 1983, but Jack Perconte, whose name is on the back, did not join the club until the following year. I thought it might have also been worn by Tony Bernazard, who wore the number 14 for the M's in 1983, but there is no evidence of a nameplate change. Perconte is obviously the sole wearer of this shirt, which shows moderate use. 1984 was also Perconte's best year in the majors, batting .294 with 29 stolen bases.

Perconte's uncle Frank was a member of the 101st Airborne Division during World War II and is a featured soldier in the Band of Brothers series.

If any of you have a favorite "common" jersey and/or story to go with it, I'd love to hear it. This thread is about the love!
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Re: What's your favorite "common" jersey in your collection?

I'm game for this thread. I have posted this jersey before on other threads, but it remains my favorite conversation piece. The jersey and cleats are the only ones EVER worn in an official NFL game by Jordan Norwood, against ATL. He dressed for one game only as an Eagle, and is now with the Browns but has yet to play in a regular season game with them.

I got the jersey sold to me as a game issue, but after doing my homework and some research, I proved it was actually game worn due to the smell, hit marks and photos of when he played against ATL. I even got the Eagles to reissue me another COA from game issued to game worn (with Mei Grays assistance)! Pretty cool!!

It's a jersey that would mean little to anyone who is not a Penn State fan, but to us Nittany Lion alums, it is a legendary piece that gets me some nice clout on other PSU boards . It will also always be significant, because no matter what he does from this point on, this will always be his first game worn jersey and cleats in the NFL.

One of my favorite all time 49ers is Jeff Ulbrich. He played 10 seasons for the 49ers until injury derailed his career. He is now linebackers coach for the Seahawks. This is his rookie throwback with team letter worn on MNF.

Always buying 49ers gamers and ANY 1994 49er gamer. Paying a finders fee for the right shirt.

Paul
    garciajones@yahoo.com

Wang Zhizhi rookie jersey, the first asian player to play in the NBA
    www.houseofbasket.com

All three examples shown are awesome! It's easy to appreciate the history behind a Jeter or Manning jersey, but I think a non sports fan would appreciate the jerseys on this thread just as much -- the stories behind them are really cool.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Michael Williams 1993-94.
    NBA All time leader for consecutive free throws made (97)
    from March,24 1993 to January 7, 1994

www.houseofbasket.com

The "SHORTEST" (Bogues) and the "TALLEST" (Bol and Muresan) players in NBA history
    www.houseofbasket.com

Most of my hometown players would be considered commons. Not sure if I would be able to choose any one of them over the others.

Nice to see that others appreciate the jerseys for what they are and not the player's who wore them. As a bottom feeder, I am always buying common jerseys based on style and looks.

Quote Originally Posted by jppopma View Post
    Most of my hometown players would be considered commons. Not sure if I would be able to choose any one of them over the others.

Nice to see that others appreciate the jerseys for what they are and not the player's who wore them. As a bottom feeder, I am always buying common jerseys based on style and looks.
    I buy jersey's based on my hometown as well, so most are commons. I really appreciate them, they hold special meaning to me, not sure if anyone else would.

More interesting stuff from forum members! I'd like to see that Muresan jersey in a full-length frame!!!

Speaking of frames, here's the Perconte now. I have a mid-1980s theme here, with a 1984/85 USFL Houston Gamblers helmet, 1984 Topps "Supers" proof sheet and two 1983 Mother's Cookies promo sheets.

If you have an office or store, a common but interesting framed jersey makes a great conversation piece.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com