Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New pick-ups

Re: New pick-ups

That is a 1950s Red Sox stadium pin. If you look in the upper left portion of the picture just below that white Cleveland Indians pin you will see a little navy blue pin that says Oh You Red Sox. That is a veeery rare early pin with a Perfections Cigarette paper backing. I got that thing on ebay for $10 last year because it was listed in some crazy location. I can't even remember how I found it, but it's a good find.

I just put the pages on an ironing board, laid a clean cloth of them and started ironing with the steam on full blast. It didn't take any time at all. I think I soaked the backs also. After they came off I laid them out with little weights on the ends to keep them from curling while they dried. Nobody I showed them to including the big boys had any problems with how they looked or how I did it. I gave full disclosure.

I have been all over the place with pins. If I find them cheep and I like them, I buy them. I have a tough time focusing...hee hee.

Here are a couple of new pieces that just came in. Thanks Chris and Pat if you're on here. Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Those are terrific pieces. Is the hat referring to Babe Ruth for sure? I'm not doubting it. I just haven't seen anything like it in the past. Where did they come from?

Could be Babe Didrickson-Zahara? But I doubt it.

Hi Guys,

I traded for the hat under the understanding that it was for Babe Ruth, with a good chance that it was during the time he spent with the Red Sox. Although I agree completly that it would be hard to tell that it was from 1919 or so, and could be from the Yankee era (heaven forbid <G>), I thought the piece was pretty neat and could have a POSSIBLE Royal Rooter history to it. I know there are plenty of photos of Fenway Park at this time with the fans sporting similar caps.

The fellow I traded for it said Josh Evans saw it and thought it was from the BoSox era. Who knows. Lelands did have a very similar Hat Band in a recent auction, http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?lot=907&auctionid=512 , which they claim is Boston related.

I'm in a good mood today, Tavares actually pitched a full game last night. Will miracles never cease?

Here's another fun item I picked up over the summer. Good talking to you guys.

Greg

I can easily believe it refers to Babe Ruth. Please keep us posted if you find any additional info. Great year for your Red Sox collection. Congratulations and thank you for posting!

I'm really happy with this Tigers pennant. Very tough design, in fact I'm not sure I've seen another.

Nice pennant! By the way, what is the date on that Oh You Red Sox pin?

thanks!
    Greg

I can't speak for Mike as to the date of his pin, but the "Oh You...." was very common around 1910-1920. You see many items from this period that use the phrase. "Oh you kid!" was common, and I've seen a Chicago Cubs pin that says "Oh You Cubs" that I believe was put out by Sweet Caporal around 1910.