Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What would you pay for a historic ball?

Tonight, Dan Uggla set an Atlanta record for longest hit streak with 32 straight games with a hit. The record was set with a homerun. The second it was hit, I immediately starting running to the outfield seats to find the person that caught the ball. I wasn't sure if the guy knew it broke the record or not, so I low-ball'd him an offer of $100 cash and he rejected...I went up to $200...rejected again....then I just said "I can go higher"....he just shook his head no and said he wanted the ball. It's disappointing being that close to Braves history and not coming out a winner, but it makes me think, what's the right price to pay for history? Anybody have any stories with situations like mine tonight? I'm curious to know what you should typically offer someone for a historic baseball.

I did see security take the guy somewhere with the ball. I'm not sure if he was getting it authenticated by MLB, or if maybe the Braves/Uggla wanted the ball back, but hopefully it doesn't go on his shelf and stay there forever. It would look a lot better in my case

Re: What would you pay for a historic ball?

Don't have any stories like that. But im sure it would look best in your display kyle

I was at Shea when Big Mac hit a rather memorable HR. Same series, I let a kid cut me and get an autograph from Mark instead of me. He signed hers and walked away before signing mine.

I saw Gretzky's last game at MSG.

Michael Vick's first game in the PS against the Jets.

Steve Smith's first game in the PS against the Giants.

Islanders game against Washington when Turgeon was injured by Dale Hunter in 1993. They were killed by the eventual SC winners (Montreal) and to this day, anyone who follows the NYI feels they lost because they lost Pierre.

I never realized it, I've seen a ton of history live. To answer your question Kyle, I'd pay as much as I could for Chipper's last HR or hit.

Randomly, I'd love a Matt Diaz HR ball with MLB docs. Considering what a slugger he has been this season with a whopping zero ****ing HR's, his next could be his last LOL
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Kyle! I was watching, saw the guy catch it, and literally remembered telling my friends, "I bet my friend with all the Braves jerseys is sprinting over to get that ball to add to his collection."
    I wish you could have added it to your collection.

Maybe we can ask Lisa what came of the ball.

In 1991 I met the gentleman who caught this ball in the Kingdome. It is the ball McGwire hit to set the American League record and tie the MLB record for rookie Home runs. The owner coated it in a light coat of varnish and put on a shelf for four years. He was looking to sell it as he claimed to have no interest in it any longer. I'm sure McGwire's steady decline each year up to that point had something to do with his motivation to sell. Nonetheless he wanted 350 which I gladly paid. In 1998 I was offered a substantial sum for it and turned it down. For obvious reasons it has depreciated significantly since then. I am still pleased to own it. Collectors in my tax bracket doesn't often get the opportunity to make such purchases. It's only money right Sorry for the picture size.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Back in 1996, I traveled to Kansas City to see Cal Ripken Jr. pass Japan's Sachio Kinugasa for the World Record of Consecutive Games played (2216) and I was determined to get a game used ball from that contest....Orioles' catcher Chris Hoiles hit a foul ball into the stands off Kevin Appier and I approached the guy who caught it (early to mid 20's) and offered him $50 for the ball and the guy (fortunately for me) was more than happy to oblige......

The good thing was that I caught a ride back to the hotel with the Kinugasa and he signed the ball for me on the sweet spot (and added Cal later):

Prices depend on how much a person values an item personally, plus what his/her budget priorities are. I wouldn't take any amount for my most prized g-u items. I've been a baseball fan for 54 years (since age 8), and I know I might never have another shot at a comparable artifact. That fact can be worth more than money.

71buc..... the ball was coated in varnish? I have never heard of that, is it holding together well or have you noticed any fading?
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

Its either varnish or shellac. He wasn't a collector. I asked ihim why he did this. He indicated that he thought that it would protect the ball from fading. It looks the same now as when I bought twenty years ago. I have seen older autographed balls treated in the same fashion. It's not a practice I would ever recommend or engage in myself but other than giving the ball a glossy finish it does not appear to have damaged the ball.

It is a semi record. The Braves franchise record was set by Tommy Holmes of the Boston Braves in 1945 at 37 games. Maybe you can still get hit #38.
    Russell Wuerffel
    Always looking for Chipper Jones game used bats and authenticated hits and MLB authenticated commemorative logo basballs.
    lakeerie92 @ yahoo.com