Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Game used or issued?

Question

If a jersey was worn by a player who never left the bench would that jersey be considered game worn?

Re: Game used or issued?

MLB has stated that worn on the bench or BP would be considered Game Used.

Best to do your homework when specific dates are given to see if the player actually got into the game.

You see this all the time with regards to TBTC jerseys as they are usually worn for 1 or 2 games hence almost half the players in the dugout and bullpen never got into the game.

Andrew

sure it can.
    especially if your Steiner and your trying to sell carl pavano game used stuff from 2006

sorry had to throw that in there

This is an old question that always seemed to end up that "game used"-"game worn" somehow means the same thing. I've always disagreed.And now MLB declares it so with TBTC items,never entering into a game but worn on the bench,as game used/worn. Shouldn't an item used in the game be worth more? Well,how to describe the difference? Well,I'm not going to revisit the game used vs game worn argument but I will offer the following. That a new term be used to exactly describe where that jersey/item was used and that term is: "IN PLAY" An item can be described as "In Play" when it crossed the lines into a actual game(Not practice,not spring training,etc.) We've come along in this hobby to the point where I believe we need this description. Was the jersey "in play",yes or no, ends the confusion.

By the way-Zimmer's uniform qualifies as being,"In Play"(half-kidding)-
    Robert

Game Used v. Game Issued

Is there anyway to tell the difference between the two other than wear and tear? FOr example, a 2003 White Sox alternate jersey?

Thanks for your help from this novice!

Re: Game Used v. Game Issued

[QUOTE=steevyniu;185854]Is there anyway to tell the difference between the two other than wear and tear? FOr example, a 2003 White Sox alternate jersey?

Thanks for your help from this novice![/QUOTE

All jerseys are issued to the player with the same tagging. So no, the only way to tell the difference between issued and game used for a jersey is wear and tear

Banned

Here are a few tips. Apparent use means nothing. Anyone can buy a game issued jersey and turn it into a jersey that appears to have been used very easily. Dirt is dirt, grass stains are grass stains, etc. Photomatching can help but it is not foolproof and it is hard to do. For vintage stuff I would stick with stuff that is Mears certified. For modern stuff I would buy stuff from steiner, jo, meigray, and all the league auction sites or the teams themselves only, these companies are beyond reproach. NFL auctions sometimes makes errors as the threads on here will attest but they will correct them if you bring them to their attention. If you are patient stuff from virually every modern player becomes available. Yes it may cost more from these companies but you cannot put a price on piece of mind.

There are other long-time dealers who are just as trustworthy, experienced, and knowledgeable (if not more so) as those mentioned by leagaleagle. Read this forum long enough and you will discover these fine sellers. While you might not get all the fancy paperwork, etc. from some of those sellers, you will find that you don't have to take out a second mortgage to buy from them. Once you are in the hobby and learn more about the nuances of game-used jerseys, you will come to appreciate some of these "other" sellers, especially with regards to your bank account.

On the other hand, if you become dependent on letters, COAs, etc. and never truly learn how to research jerseys, you are doomed to over-spending and never really being able to discern for yourself whether a jersey is the real deal. Don't make the mistake some collectors make by depending on paperwork as it will greatly limit your possibilities not to mention your collection and bank account.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for WFL and Atlanta Falcons jerseys, and Willie McGee and Darren Lewis items.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by G1X View Post
    There are other long-time dealers who are just as trustworthy, experienced, and knowledgeable (if not more so) as those mentioned by leagaleagle. Read this forum long enough and you will discover these fine sellers. While you might not get all the fancy paperwork, etc. from some of those sellers, you will find that you don't have to take out a second mortgage to buy from them. Once you are in the hobby and learn more about the nuances of game-used jerseys, you will come to appreciate some of these "other" sellers, especially with regards to your bank account.

On the other hand, if you become dependent on letters, COAs, etc. and never truly learn how to research jerseys, you are doomed to over-spending and never really being able to discern for yourself whether a jersey is the real deal. Don't make the mistake some collectors make by depending on paperwork as it will greatly limit your possibilities not to mention your collection and bank account.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for WFL and Atlanta Falcons jerseys, and Willie McGee and Darren Lewis items.
    It is hard though to discern what is real and what is not and speaking for myself I just do not have the time to learn. And personally I would rather spend a little more and be absolutely sure it is real than buy something that later turns out to be phony and have just wasted that money. I collect pretty much only star players so maybe my perspective is a little bit different than others and to be fair if you are looking for common, slightly above average players and veteran guys who maybe made a couple of allstar game appearances at some point than yes there are reputable dealers out there like yourself who it is much more economical to buy from. I think spending the money the companies I mentioned charge for common, above average or veteran one-two time allstars is not a great investment at all and is unnecessary what I was talking about are the "star" players who the market is filled with bad stuff of and I should have qualified my advice with that.

Thanks for the advice guys.

That is what I thought, but it is great to get some reassurance from experienced collectors.

Basically, I found a deal on a GU jersey froma favorite player. All the tagging matches but the price seems a bit too good and the actual jersey condition looks brand new.