Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why Did this Schmidt jersey go so cheap

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/...AIT#la-image-5

This is from the Geppi's auction. I know it does not say Game worn, but it appears to be at least team issued, it is autographed by Schmidt and it went for the same price as a Mitchell & Ness. Any thoughts on why?

Re: Why Did this Schmidt jersey go so cheap

Howard is the man when it comes to Phillies....and he could probably best list all of the differences between this jersey and a 77 Schmidt game jersey. But I will say that this jersey isn't close ... I don't even know where to start. The numbering is wrong, the lettering is wrong, the tagging is wrong, etc. I just picked up a superb Steve Carlton 1977 game worn road jersey ... and it couldn't be more different from this Schmidt jersey with the 77 tag.

Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

What a piece of garbage!!

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanfan View Post
    What a piece of garbage!!
    Bill:

Apparently, you are more succinct than I am. Yes, I agree. It's a great $30 shirt to wear to Citizens Bank Ballpark.

Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Banned

Reid summed it up best. Nothing about this is correct:
    *Wrong # style
    *NOB is a total hand-cut mess
    *Tagging is wrong

What's interesting is that Geppi never described the jersey as "game worn", just noted in the description that is shows a little wear (I guess indicating that the previous owner may have worn it out to the curb to take the recycling out). Even the $300. is about $299. too much for this!

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Thanks guys. I actually bid on this, never thinking I would win; more trying out the Live Auction for a couple of things I wanted today.

I emailed Geppi's asking them about this. While they did not say it was game used, I think their description is misleading at best. How can a "major" auction house sell something like this with such a misleading description. Should it not be safe for a bidder to at least be able to assume that if a jersey is being sold by a reputable auction house and has year tagging and player name in the neck that the jersey is at least team issued unless it is described as otherwise?

This is Geppi's response:

[Add to Address Book]To: <griffelh@comcast.net>Subject: RE: You Won eBay Item: Mike Schmidt Signed 1970s Phillies Home Jersey (290026503804)Date: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 1:54:03 PM Wed, 13 Sep 2006 17:54:03 +0000 [View Source] .SectionTitle { FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: small; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif}.SmallTitle { FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: x-small; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif}.SectionBody { FONT-SIZE: x-small; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif}BODY { FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif}TD { FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif}.max { WIDTH: 100%}.DetailTable { FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif}.DetailTable TH { FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif}.Title { FONT-SIZE: medium; FONT-FAMILY: verdana, arial, sans-serif}.BodyFont { FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif}.BodyFontStrong { FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif}.SmallBody { MARGIN-TOP: 8px; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: xx-small; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 6px; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif}.Separator { COLOR: #cccccc; HEIGHT: 1px}.HighlightedSeparator { COLOR: #9999cc; HEIGHT: 1px}.TableBorderTip { BORDER-RIGHT: #6b7b91 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #6b7b91 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #6b7b91 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #6b7b91 1px solid}.FooterSeparator { HEIGHT: 1px}.Footer { MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT-SIZE: xx-small; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 8px; COLOR: #666666; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif}.Footer P { MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT-SIZE: xx-small; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 8px; COLOR: #666666; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif}.SmallPara { MARGIN-TOP: 8px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 6px}.SmallParap { MARGIN-TOP: 8px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 6px}.at { MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 2px; COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY: arial,}.ItemDetailStyle { BORDER-TOP: #e0e0e0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #e0e0e0; BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #e0e0e0; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: solid; BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: solid; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #e0e0e0; BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: solid}.buyerDetailStyle { BORDER-RIGHT: #e0e0e0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e0e0e0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e0e0e0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0e0e0 1px solid}.mstUl { MARGIN-TOP: 5px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 5px}.mstLi { PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; LINE-HEIGHT: 120%; PADDING-TOP: 3px; LIST-STYLE-TYPE: square}.ItemTitle { FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif}.SmallNotes { FONT-SIZE: xx-small; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif}
    The jersey was NOT authenticated. It was, in fact, a store bought jersey and signed by Schmidt. The signature was authenticated. We NEVER said the jersey was authentic.

What a bunch of bunk. If they KNEW it was store bought, shouldn't the item description have said that, instead of going into the detail of describing the "77 2" tag and "Schmidt" chain stitching in the neck? I feel that they have grossly misrepresented this item.

Any advice from anyone?

Banned

I'd like to know what store sold Phillies jerseys with year tags and names embroidered in the collar. Gold Medal in Philadelphia sold replicas, however, not with this type of tags. Ask them this specific question.

They were extremely careful in the way the described the jersey, even the fact that is shows "wear". I agree, one could easily assume it was a gamer, however, then again we can never assume in this hobby.

Have you already paid for it? If not, this may be your only way out.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

I have not yet paid, which is why I am asking for advice. I do not think I should have to pay, given their misleading description. I did write them back asking specific questions, namely, if they knew it was a store bought jersey and are telling me this now, why did they not say so in the item description. I also pointed out, as you mention, that store bought jerseys do not typically have year/set tags or player names embroidered in the neck.

I do not want to get into trouble with ebay either, though. I have aperfect feedback score until now.

Quote Originally Posted by hblakewolf View Post
    I'd like to know what store sold Phillies jerseys with year tags and names embroidered in the collar. Gold Medal in Philadelphia sold replicas, however, not with this type of tags. Ask them this specific question.

They were extremely careful in the way the described the jersey, even the fact that is shows "wear". I agree, one could easily assume it was a gamer, however, then again we can never assume in this hobby.

Have you already paid for it? If not, this may be your only way out.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

It might've been better to bring up these questions before the auction ended. You can at least retract your bid. At any rate, I'd much rather receive nagative feedback than pay $300 for something that isn't even worth $30. I say shame on them for using a misleading description.
    "The knowledge that this guy has in his head, some of you would never be able to comprehend."